Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickie P222 SE Dump or rebuild P200

Quickie P222 SE Dump or rebuild P200

I am looking to replace my 16 yr old P200 with something as similar as possible. Currently my dump goes from 18" in front down to about 15.5" in the rear. My dealer talked with the engineers at Sunrise who told him that the lowest I could get the seat height on the P222 was 18" and if I did that I would have 0 dump since that is also the lowest the rear could go. I just wanted to verify with some of you who own the chair. Is this true? If it is, I'm quite disappointed. Does anyone know of another chair with similar characteristics to the P200 that has a low rear STFH?

An alternative presented was to to build a P200 from parts assemblies. It would be a bit more expensive, but would probably be worth it to get just the right fit. Do any of you have any thoughts on this? Would building a chair this way be just as reliable as my old P200? Would the chair have the same driving characteristics with the updated electronics?
    Last edited by Kulea; 01-21-2011 at 01:20 AM.

I have a p200 I've been thinking about parting with. What parts do you need?

I would be assembling a brand new chair from factory new parts, so I need all of them. The quote was at least $10k, but I would only pay 20%.

I see... then I'd say go for it if all the parts are available and you can afford the $2000.00 out of pocket. The P200 was an awesome chair, good speed and tons of torque. The only draw back, and it's a big one for me, is that they used big metal gears that as they wear make a lot of noise. I'm sure by now you noticed that. So if you don't mind people turning their heads all the time as you approach it's not a big deal. Mines been sitting collecting dust for about 10 years now.

As the owner of a very used second hand p200, I searched high and low for something to match its performance that was narrow enough and short enough on the diagonal to fit in my house and cubicle at work and still jump curb into my driveway. I had considered doing what you describe-building a new p200 from scratch but ended up working with a FANTASTIC Sunrise Representative (not dealer) and a TOP NOTCH PT person for the eval and was fit to a P222SE.

The Seat to floor height was a real deal breaker and at his suggestion, we went for an aftermarket seating system that got the STF to about 18 1/2" for me personally. Becuase I opted for aftermarket and tilt, the anle is adjustable but the key is I got this with a way lower STF due to the updated technolgy in the aftermarket AMY seating system. Am currently battling insurance to get this approved. This was my solution. Also, I did get to demo the p222se for a lengthy period to ensure it would work in my environment. I hope this help you in some way.

Lastly, the larger question if you build a p200 from assembling assemblies is, how long with the parts that comprise the p200 be available. If the answer is 10 years and you love the chair, it might be your happiest choice. If the parts that are most likely to fail-tires, uphosltery, joystick, gears-else?? will not be avilalble for any more than 2 or 3 years, you would have a hard time getting me to shell out big $$$ for something that may not be able to be repaired or maintained(tires) should it need so.

I would call Sunrise and ask to speak with whichever of their rep's they have that is very familiar with this p200/p222 STF hardware situation and see how you might price out a solution-both ways- including maintenance items(i.e. if you still pick the p200, you would be best served to purchase likely yearly maintenance parts while they are still obtainable).

Best,
    engineeermom2

What STFH and dump are you able to get with the AMY? Did you look at their rear drive wheelchair? It has similar dimensions to the P200 when using the 12" wheels. But, I'm wondering what the drive characteristics are like and whether it can climb 4" curbs. It must be pretty new because I'm not finding much info on it besides the standard brochure and order form. I definitely haven't found any reviews anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    I have a p200 I've been thinking about parting with. What parts do you need?
    I have been using a Quickie P-200 since 1997. My newer chair sits outside in the hallway. About two years ago, I saw a new (never used) Quickie P-200 being auctioned off on eBay for $600. The purchaser would be responsible for shipping. The location was too far north for me to drive up and then inspect the chair. I would be interested in purchasing a used Quickie P-200 if the price was right. The same goes for purchasing parts as well.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Right now I've got a quickie gpv frame mounted on it:

I should have all the other parts in boxes. I know where the near mint black frame is but the armrest, footrests etc are in boxes somewhere. Despite the pic it's seen little use in the 15 to 20 years I've had it. Make me an offer?

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Right now I've got a quickie gpv frame mounted on it:

I should have all the other parts in boxes. I know where the near mint black frame is but the armrest, footrests etc are in boxes somewhere. Despite the pic it's seen little use in the 15 to 20 years I've had it. Make me an offer?
    I may need a Gear Box and Motor for my Quickie P200. Your chair looks every bit its age.

We can continue our discussion about pricing or horsetrading in the Equipment & Services Forum.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Hi Pat.

As promised, pictures below. As stated before, I got this chair back in 1997. I don't like my new chair. It's clunky compared to the Quickie.

--General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com