Thread: Seeking information on Taiwan/Dr. Cheng

Seeking information on Taiwan/Dr. Cheng

I have an interesting dilemma. I might be offered a job that is located 45% in Ft Lauderdale and 55% in Taiwan and Hong Kong. I thought being a short distance from my wife's native Philippines part of the time and being able to travel there on weekends might be a plus for her but she's not going gaga over the idea.

Honestly, I think being close to Dr. Cheng's work would have to be a big part of the decision. It could potentially save me a fortune in travel and housing expenses to get the treatment while I'm there.

Does anyone know when he'll begin doing OEG? What else is up his sleeve? I just don't think peripheral nerve bridging/growth factors is enough for me. But, hopefully, I'm wrong.

I asked about wheelchair access there, kind of hoping that I'd be disqualified [from having to think about it], but they said "not a problem."

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

He didn't give me any specific answer on the OEG & stem cell work he's doing. It's still at animal stage and I quote him "it's not mature technology yet". Does this mean 6 months, 1 year or 5? Who knows.

I don't understand the following:

"I asked about wheelchair access there, kind of hoping that I'd be disqualified [from having to think about it], but they said "not a problem."

As I said before, Taiwan is BRUTAL for wheelchair access. Is that what you mean?

Yup - that's what I mean.

Jobs are not exactly overflowing in this economy. If I get a job offer and refuse it I technically don't qualify for unemployment compensation. Wheelchair access in the Philippines was also very brutal but I could choose where to go and what to do. It would be embarassing as a worker to constantly have problems somewhere. But, it's better than not working, at all. My interview is 12/11. If they offer me the job I'm gonna take it. If it doesn't work out due to wheelchair access it isn't my fault.

MY experience.............

Jeff,
    I had a job for many years traveling 50% in US
    and 50% in Asia. I was a walking incomplete then and beleive me it was very tough physically.
    When I was younger I always overestimated my abilities and did it by willpower. Now, I am more careful !!! Food for thought and good luck !!!!

Jeff

Yeah, you make a few good points, Jeff, and I wonder too if Cheng and peripheral nerve bridging and his 'nerve glue' will do me any good. I'm tentatively going over to Taipei next week for a 5 week stay, and yeah, it's a real dice throw, totally unknown and who knows what might happen, but I'm just not a very good plegic. I know a few plegics who seem damn contented to live life reaching fingers into their a-holes indefinitely and trotting off happily to their wheelchair basketball, and I can't criticise them for living as they choose, for, in truth, we all cope in our own ways and I may perhaps be in serious denial, who knows? I was a professional motorcyclist, traveled the world racing off-road and the last thing I would ever do is get back on a bike. Everybody says 'you're in denial, get on a 4 wheeler and don't let the injury beat you,' but brother, if I can't ride at or near the level I once did, I want nothing to do with it, and besides, I could never put my family through the worry again. So for me, I have no options other than to try this risky surgery. I cannot sit and wait until the research has passed through the sieve known as the clinic; in my case, it will be years, who knows how many, until therapy will be available here. I owe it to my family to at least try. No risk, no reward.

vgrafen

I might be wrong

But I think if the job you are offered requires you to move some distance, then you are not disqualified from unemployment benefits. I'd check it out to be sure though. Even Ft. Lauderdale is far enough away from Orlando to give you this option.

Mike - Were you travelling all the time? I bet that would be exhausting. I'd be living in one place in Taiwan with only an occasional trip to Hong Kong. This company develops its software in Ft Lauderdale/Taiwan and people visit Hong Kong only for installs, upgrades and training the office people. The last time I flew back from Asia it was a breeze so I'm not worried about infrequent travel even if it's a long flight. I have a choice between one first class ticket and two coach tickets [one for my wife]. I'll definitely choose the latter.

VG - Way to go! I didn't realize you were leaving so soon. I've got Dr. Cheng firmly in my sites but I want to review what he publishes first and hopefully he'll have treated someone with stats similar to mine.

Blue - Great point. I didn't even think of that. Geez, that takes a little pressure off. Thank you for mentioning that.

By the way

Has anyone heard any additional news/info concerning the first lady of Taiwan and whether or not she had Cheng's surgery? Is under his care?

Jeff, just got off the phoen with Cheng himslef and I've chanegd the dates of my trip to Jan. th. Not enough time to race around with allt he damn details I have to do. A huge problem just hit me moments gao: I raced motorcycles professionally for a number of years and while my insurance won't pay for experimental procedures, my ex-boss at the factory had said all along the company would pay for a viable treatment when I found one. So what happens? I contact him, send him all the info you can find on Cheng anywhere, and now I hear back, 'sorry, this one's not a perfect procedure, why don't you check back with us when stem cells are ready?' Sure, sit on my atrophied ass another ten years. No way, so it's out of my pocket if I'm to go, and I'm going. Now unfortunately I need to find alternative funding sources, a benefactor, whatever. Any suggestions?

vgrafen

I would get in touch with your local civic organizations

They are constantly raising money. As a former pro you should be able to leverage that quite nicely. If you could schedule a banquet for $25/head, get a celebrity of some type to show up, get a local band to donate music for a couple hours and provide other enticements.....you might be able to slam it home with one event. Of course, it could take six months to pull that off. I think if it was a gala event you might even be able to get CR to show up - maybe split the proceeds with CRPF. CR is a really big draw. And get your former motorcycle competitors to all show up. And maybe one former playmate of the year. Something for everyone.

I'm really sorry the sponsor you were counting on isn't coming through for this operation. Maybe you could also post over in FundRaising and start some dialog, there.