Thread: Washington DC Apartment / Housing

Washington DC Apartment / Housing

Hey Everyone,

I recently got offered an internship on Capitol Hill in DC. and I've started to look for any sort of housing that is somewhat affordable. Does anyone know of any accessible friendly apartment complexes, condo's or housing to start off with? Unfortunately I am not working with a lot of money which is a bummer when looking for a studio / 1BR place. Any info would be appreciated though!

good luck! everything in d.c is very over priced. i would try looking in md or va. wish you luck!
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Quote Originally Posted by TightLines View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I recently got offered an internship on Capitol Hill in DC. and I've started to look for any sort of housing that is somewhat affordable. Does anyone know of any accessible friendly apartment complexes, condo's or housing to start off with? Unfortunately I am not working with a lot of money which is a bummer when looking for a studio / 1BR place. Any info would be appreciated though!
    Here is an accessible housing complex in northern VA w/ rent based on income:
    Coppermine: http://www.wesleyhousing.org/Propert...mineplace1.htm

http://section-8-housing.findthebest...ppermine-Place

good luck

I would recommend looking outside the District. Prince George's County, MD is more affordable than some other areas, and has access to Capitol Hill via the Metro. It is worth taking a look around Laurel, MD in PG Co.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyDaisy View Post
    I would recommend looking outside the District. Prince George's County, MD is more affordable than some other areas, and has access to Capitol Hill via the Metro. It is worth taking a look around Laurel, MD in PG Co.
    I agree with this. Look outside the beltway. The Metro works well & is accessible. DC / northern VA / etc is a pretty pricey area regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyDaisy View Post
    Montgomery County is very progressive and has a strong disability program/ ILC that operates out of the county offices. In Rockville right off the Brown line there is an apt complex with designated accessible units. Anywhere in Montgomery County near a metro line would be a smart choice. Bethesda near the red line would be another great option.

I used to live in Laurel and there was no metro line into DC--Greenbelt was the closest location and not very accessible. The drive down Rt 29 to Silver Spring was an hour to 90 minutes and the travel distance was less than 17 miles.

I would suggest you call the ILC in Montgomery County. If you need help, shoot me a PM.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cheesecake, you and I may have been neighbors. I used to live in Laurel also!

You can definately catch the train in Laurel, unless something has changed in the past few years. There is a station there and one in Savage. There are not as many trains that stop at these stations, but in the mornings and evenings you can do it. Mid-day you have to go to Greenbelt or Odenton.

One positive about Laurel is that housing tends to be cheaper there than in Montgomery County. Both are nice places to live though.

TightLines,

If your Capitol Hill internship is to be a temporary matter, you may benefit from contacting Gallaudet College about temporary housing in their dorms. On at least one occasion Gallaudet permitted some summer hires to reside on campus during our summer tenure with non-Gallaudet employers. Gallaudet is less than seven blocks from the Capitol.