Thread: Positioning in a wheelchair: weight distribution

Positioning in a wheelchair: weight distribution

Hello,

I am a C5-6 and have been doing self transfers for 12 years. I have always noticed that my left front tire always wears out quicker than the rest do on my power chair (I transfer to my chair from the right side). I have also noticed (when seated) that my left leg moves more freely than my right one does (I am always repositioning my left leg on the foot rest). Are these all signs of bad weight distribution and if so, can it cause problems for me if not corrected? If it can cause problems then how do I correct it?

Thanks for your time
    It is better to do something than to do nothing while waiting to do everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterman View Post
    Hello,

I am a C5-6 and have been doing self transfers for 12 years. I have always noticed that my left front tire always wears out quicker than the rest do on my power chair (I transfer to my chair from the right side). I have also noticed (when seated) that my left leg moves more freely than my right one does (I am always repositioning my left leg on the foot rest). Are these all signs of bad weight distribution and if so, can it cause problems for me if not corrected? If it can cause problems then how do I correct it?

Thanks for your time
    Hello TaterMan,

I noticed my right tire was wearing out quicker than the left. I then realized I always turned around the same direction. When I changed this, my left tire wore quicker. This may/may not be the reason for your tire wear but deserves some consideration.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I never paid attention to which way I favored to turn. Can't believe I never thought of that and it makes perfect sense! Thanks for the reply.
    It is better to do something than to do nothing while waiting to do everything.