Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pooping ???

pooping ???

I am waiting to get in with my doc, but I wanted to ask you guys first. For the past 5 months I have been pooping hard balls on my daily routine. I read I should drinking more water and excercise and it should fix itself. I drink 2-1/2L of water and more the days I go to the gym for 2hours most everyday. I eat rasinbran everyday and eat veggi's when ever I can plus one or two glasses of metimucil.

Lately I have been pooping less and less, I'll go days with pooping tiny amount of hard balls then one day there is a large amount and it's soft(probable from the metimucil). then the next day I won't poop at all, and it slowly becomes more and more but I know it's not healthy.

I was using laxitives like bisacodal and lactilose but found out about lazy bowel syndrome so I'm trying to avoid using them and getting back to the bowel program I once had. Its like a switch flicked from having nice formed stool to balls. what the deuce.
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

I suggest you try using Miralax. It can be a bit wicked, but once you get moving again, you can experiment with doses. When I first tried it (after years of the type of thing you describe), it took 4 days full dose & 2 senna tabs to get me going. Now, I may not even use it for months, or I take a smaller dose than recommended.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Dewie,
    It would be helpful if you put some info about the date of your injury and sci level in your profile, and also if you put the details of your bowel program in a post here.

This does not address all your problem, but I wonder if you need to do your bp daily. Some of us do it every 2nd or 3rd day. That may be why you are having widely varied amounts. What was your routine before your injury? Many bp "experts" suggest that SCIs try to build their program similar to the pre-injury schedule. Makes sense and worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dewie27 View Post
    I am waiting to get in with my doc, but I wanted to ask you guys first. For the past 5 months I have been pooping hard balls on my daily routine. I read I should drinking more water and excercise and it should fix itself. I drink 2-1/2L of water and more the days I go to the gym for 2hours most everyday. I eat rasinbran everyday and eat veggi's when ever I can plus one or two glasses of metimucil.

Lately I have been pooping less and less, I'll go days with pooping tiny amount of hard balls then one day there is a large amount and it's soft(probable from the metimucil). then the next day I won't poop at all, and it slowly becomes more and more but I know it's not healthy.

I was using laxitives like bisacodal and lactilose but found out about lazy bowel syndrome so I'm trying to avoid using them and getting back to the bowel program I once had. Its like a switch flicked from having nice formed stool to balls. what the deuce.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    since my SCI, i poop like an animal. little balls, not hard, but they maintain a round shape, and hardly any wiping neccessary(really saves on the butt wipe). i go every morning with no meds or anything, same routine as before injury.

Hi,

It sounds like you are trying many healthful approaches such as water, exercise and high fiber diet. As stated above, you dont mention your injury level so difficult to tell the situation of your bowel.

You may want to try a product like benefiber, which is OTC and easy to add to water, fluid or food and is less interventive approach. Start with 1 pkg 2x daily and can be taken up to 3x daily. If still hard balls, try colace stool softener 2x daily.

Keep us posted.

AAD

Blog Entries
    I usually do BP every night, and if I wait two days, I get hard balls to start, and then normal softer stool. I take one docusate sodium every norning to keep the stool soft.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

well I figured I would chime in with my outcome. I was drinking slowly more and more and a couple days ago I drank just about 6L of water and the next day had huge result. I now know I was dyhdrated but I thought I was drinking enough, drinking juice, milk and staying away from caffine and drinking lots at the gym but I guess not.

The very next day I drank the typical 2-1/2L of water and it went back to hard stool. Guess my body need more h2o than the average, I know I can't drink 6L everyday but will have to find a happy medium.

thanks sci nurse, is benefiber better or different than metimucil?

I went back to square one, still having hard balls and it's hard to pass. I'm drinking 2-3L of water, with maybe a glass of milk for supper or protien shake and apple juice each day. I eat on a normal day a banana, oatmeal or rasian bran with whole wheat toast, maybe a bran muffin then something like whole grain pasta or meatballs for supper. I don't eat as much as I used to but I'm not as active as I was when I was AB.

I do drink these flavored waters most days - http://www.nestle-purelife.us/flavors/splash.asp but when I go the gym I pound negular water so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. would love a fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hi,

It sounds like you are trying many healthful approaches such as water, exercise and high fiber diet. As stated above, you dont mention your injury level so difficult to tell the situation of your bowel.

You may want to try a product like benefiber, which is OTC and easy to add to water, fluid or food and is less interventive approach. Start with 1 pkg 2x daily and can be taken up to 3x daily. If still hard balls, try colace stool softener 2x daily.

Keep us posted.

AAD

I like Benefiber, you can't tell that there is anything in your water.

I take a stool softener morning and night and a dose of Mirilax daily, works pretty well.