Thread: Suprapubic bleeding

Suprapubic bleeding

In a flash of inutterable brilliance it occurs to me to wonder--a week after my doctor prescribed a stool test to explore where I might be experiencing blood loss that might be causing my iron deficiency—if I’m losing blood in my urinary tract. I twice have seen visible blood in my unine (before the superpubic); was admitted to and kept in the hospital for two days on the basis of my culture before they decided that though I was colonized I was not infected; my caregiver said she saw blood in my catheter the other morning; and my stoma (?) often still oozes and bleeds, and this morning there seemed to be some fresh blood. And sometimes it feels like the catheter might be poking into my urethra.

Okay, so writing that just made apparent the advisaibity of seeing my uro. But does this sound familiar to anyone? Could something be happening to make me bleed enough to make me iron deficient?

all of the above?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    In a flash of inutterable brilliance it occurs to me to wonder--a week after my doctor prescribed a stool test to explore where I might be experiencing blood loss that might be causing my iron deficiency—if I’m losing blood in my urinary tract. I twice have seen visible blood in my unine (before the superpubic); was admitted to and kept in the hospital for two days on the basis of my culture before they decided that though I was colonized I was not infected; my caregiver said she saw blood in my catheter the other morning; and my stoma (?) often still oozes and bleeds, and this morning there seemed to be some fresh blood. And sometimes it feels like the catheter might be poking into my urethra.

Okay, so writing that just made apparent the advisaibity of seeing my uro. But does this sound familiar to anyone? Could something be happening to make me bleed enough to make me iron deficient?
    How long have you had the supra pubic catheter?
    Are you experiencing any autonomic dysreflexia?
    How often do you change the catheter?
    How much of the catheter is outside the body?

The foley catheters used in supra pubic stomas are about 17 inches long. If you have a long length of catheter outside the body, it is doubtful that the catheter has entered the urethra from the inside of the bladder. If the catheter length outside the body is short, there is a possibility that the catheter has entered the urethra and the balloon was inflated in the urethra, but then you would be retaining urine. The tendency is for the balloon of the catheter to rest on the bladder wall through the stoma and unless it is pushed further into the bladder by yourself or caregiver, it doesn't migrate inside the bladder once the balloon is inflated. Bleeding or oozing of the stoma wouldn't be enough to cause iron deficiency anemia.
    You may have bleeding from kidney or bladder stones that could show up as blood in the urine, but I would assume the urine in your collection devices would have to be quite red with blood all the time (not traces now and then) to cause enough blood loss to cause the anemia.

I have a friend who has had chronic iron deficiency anemia for years and has only recently found that he has bleeding in the small intestine from AVMs (arteriovenous malformation). He has never had blood detected in the stool with this condition. This condition was diagnosed by an enteroscopic procedure and treated by cauterization done enteroscopically. The point to my mentioning this is that it is not always apparent and can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint the cause of internal bleeding that is enough to cause iron deficiency anemia. It may take a trip not only to your urologist, but also a gastroenterologist for a further work up if you stool test shows no blood in the stool.

All the best,
    GJ

Hi,

Agree that bleeding from stoma is not enough to cause anemia. To prevent this, try to assure that catheter is anchored to your abdomen to prevent alot of movement that can casue local irritation.

The cause of most iron deficiency anemia is through the gut or the stool. I would discuss with your doctor and whether a colonoscopy or endoscopy is warranted.

AAD