Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New injury to husband

Jenna, where is your husband now? Does he have decent insurance? Is he by any chance a military veteran?

It will be critical to get him to the appropriate SCI specialty center ASAP. Please come back and let us know a little more, and meanwhile, do some reading in the articles by Dr. Wise Young which you can find on the left side-bar on our home page.

(KLD)

Jenna,

I sincerely hope your husband's injury is incomplete and he recovers a ton (there are such things as walking quads) but do know that life can still be good, even if he remains a high-level quad in need of breathing assistance.

I'm a C1-2 currently using a ventilator fulltime, though I'm scheduled for surgery on February 2nd to get a Diaphragm Pacing System (DPS) which could/should help improve my quality of life (here's a thread about it). That said, I believe my quality of life is already high. Before learning of CareCure years ago, I started my personal website to shed light on life as a high-level quad and vent user, since in 1997 (when I was injured) my family couldn't find much. I'll include my website info below with my typical email signature, which I use to try to demonstrate some of what is still possible.

Anyway, many SCI people here have encouraging stories, and many of the most pessimistic people now believe that function-restoring therapies will come to fruition, eventually (many believe by the year 2020 is realistic, if not sooner). So try to be positive and keep the faith that your husband & you can still have a good life. Sure, there will be differences and challenges, but life can still be good.

God bless!

Here's my typical email signature:

Bill Miller :-)
    C1-2 Quadriplegic with a 221 High Bowling Game
    Co-founder of Manufacturing Genuine Thrills Inc. d/b/a MGT
    My blog: http://powerwheelchairusers.blogspot.com
    Business website: http://www.ikanbowler.com
    Personal website: http://www.lookmomnohands.net
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

My adult son had his accident in July 2010, c3-c5, and showed very little improvement the first month in the hospital. He had no feeling below nipples and couldn't move anything. It killed me that he couldn't even scratch his own itches. But after the second month when they were getting ready to release him from Rehab, he woke up one morning with feeling in his legs. Later that morning in therapy, he asked them to concentrate on his legs, and he could kick them forward. They were all AMAZED and I was in tears (happy tears of course). Since then, it has been slow but steady progress. They kept him in Rehab another 6 weeks. Six months later, he is living in an Adult Family Home but family works him out twice a day in addition to his out-patient therapies. And very recently he is standing, with help, in his out-patient rehab and can reach to his eyes and finally, scratch his own itches.

It has been heart-breaking to see all that he's had to endure, but there is always hope. My point in writing here is to convince you that it will get better, and don't ever stop believing that he can keep improving. No one knows what will be possible, and I have seen for myself that miracles are happening. Just keep being there for him and realize that there will be setbacks (son has been in hospital 3x for UTI's) but then just keep pushing forward. These situations totally suck, but its the hand we've been dealt, and this web site is amazing!!

Gerryskid -- it's always nice hearing about positive outcomes from SCI!

Thank you for sharing!

- Bill :-)
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

I will echo the sincere care and understanding for the loss your husband and your family has sustained..we know it's a long hard road back, just know u have a group of friends here that care & want the best for your tribe..keep the faith.

Jim
    '76 L4 GSW incomplete
    (cauda equina)