Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sediment in urine

Quote Originally Posted by Regine View Post
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=133414
    I have the same problem and read this thread about Mocrocyn Bladder Treatment. I am still experimenting with this, have the problem under controll, but not solved yet. At least I haven't been at the hospital with a clogged catheter in a while, which is great. You might want to check it out.
    I've seen that thread floating around. That treatment is for bladder infections, right? It's such a ridiculously long thread, and I didn't want to take a few days trying to read through it all. I have no symptoms of UTI besides the sediment, so I don't think that is a route I would go. In any case, is there a lot of uncertainty with the treatment since the thread is so long?

I have a similar problem with sediment clogging up my catheter, despite being relatively free of UTIs. I usually just irrigate with saline every 2 days, but about two weeks ago I began adding Microcyn to the flushes. It's too early to tell for sure, but I've been able to switch to irrigating every 4 days.

The thread is long but worth a read.

jim has had a sp for 8 yrs. the past couple months....after taking leviquin (sp?)...which he hasn't taken anything for over 4 yrs. uti's r minimal....maybe 2 in 7 yrs. this medicine did a number on him. could this have been the root of this now problem. now his tube clogs up every 3-4 day. i try to flush n it won't...then have to change the sp. i'm becoming quite the expert on that one :0/
    his sodium levels r low 130...now eating pickles n gatorade....low calorie. he drinks plenty of fluids; trying to flush the sediment out. i have cut up the tube every time to see what's up...sometimes clogged throughout...this morning @ the tip. heavy sediment...like toothpaste. the va said he could irrigate up to 4 times a day....short term. how long could something like this continue....it is really playing head games w/ jim.
    thanks !!
    and in the end it's not the years in your life that count it's the life in your years. abraham lincoln

One of the original suggestions along with drinking lots of fluids was to "watch the diet". What sorts of things in the diet could contribute to sediment? Is there anything specific?

There was the thought that foods rich in calcium increased the sediment. That is not the case anymore, but if you are having problems, you might try decreasing your calcium intake and see if it helps. The key is to keep the catheter flowing with fluid - the more you drink the better. That being said, irrigations sometimes have to be done. Renacidin is supposed to help. it is instilled and left in the bladder for a short period of time. Normal Saline merely is flushed in and drained. Not sure if that really does much of anything (my personal opinion).
    I would doubt that the levaquin did anything to stir this up. However, the uti may have. Hoepfully, after a few days, it will settle down. If not, give your doc a call and see what he/she recommends.
    CKF

have you checked for bladder stones?

I've have had many, many UTIs and I needed to find a stop to them! I have an super pubic catheter 24/fr silicone cotes from Coloplast Mentor. I have had many antibiotics, IVs. I've gotten doctor/urologist orders to flush daily/regularly. IDK if you like the taste or what not but, I eat horse radish! This has been something I have done for a period of time. I just put it off to the side of my meals and enjoy with just a cracker. Usually about 1-1.5 teaspoons! Sounds like alot but I love horse radish, I don't think it's to much! Good Luck!

Sci nurse.....no uti. Jim had epididymitis (sp?) possibly caused from uti dropping into scrotum. He drinks plenty of fluids....that's never been a problem. 2 uti's in 7 yrs. Isn't a bad record. We just got the results back this morning...no uti...clean. This just has us stumped. I figured from possible lying in bed for a period of time...which he never does could have cause more sediment to form.
    Fingers crossed...flushing once daily n fine since tuesday. Thanks for your help !!
    and in the end it's not the years in your life that count it's the life in your years. abraham lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by nancygail View Post
    have you checked for bladder stones?
    Will ask when annuals r done @ end of month. Thanks !!

Glad to hear that he is feeling better. And lying around might be contributing to the sediment.
    CKF