Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sediment in urine

Sediment in urine

In the past 6 months, I have had noticeably more gritty sediment in my urine. The amount of sediment is substantial enough to clog up my catheter before it's time to change it. I visited my urologist last month, and he checked out my bladder with a scope and reviewed my last kidney scan from this past summer. He said everything looks real healthy, and the solution would be to irrigate regularly. He recommended that I could irrigate twice a week, and it should allow my catheter to stay clear for the normal 4 weeks between changing.

Without blabbing on for too long, the sediment still seems to be sticking in my catheter and blocking it up about two weeks after changing it. Any recommendations for what I should try? Is it best to irrigate in the morning or the evening? Should I have to irrigate more often?

Hi "EyesofTexas,"
    Sorry you are experiencing this problem. Can you look back and think of anything that changed in your health, diet, medications six months ago? How much water are you drinking? One of the best ways to deal with "grit," "sand," "sediment," in the urine is to drink lots of fluids. Flushing the bladder is not the remedy of choice (especially amongst the SCI nurses on this website), for dealing with sediment, but in some cases it is warranted. Discuss the practice with your urologist and find out what he recommends and get first hand instruction on what to use and how and when to perform the flush.

All the best,
    GJ

Hi,

In my experience, I would first recommend as above to increase fluids and watch teh diet. Next, I would try changing your catheter more frequently, every 14 days rather than every month. I have seen this work.

If not, I would ask your urologist of their recommendations. I have seen urologists recommend special solutions but I have also seen that simple normal saline irrigations (even as infrequently as 1-2x weekly) do help , if all other options have been explored. Please keep us posted.

AAD

I have tried thinking back to any changes in my diet or medications, but nothing comes to mind. I have taken calcium, vitamin C, and Fosamax supplements/medications for several years, but could any of those be the culprit?

I'd typically finish 3 liters of water from my Camelback everyday, and I also have a few more glasses of fluid with breakfast and medications in the morning and night.

I never thought that regular irrigation would be a good idea, but since my urologist suggested it, I thought I would try it. Constant blockages of my SP catheter are also pretty frustrating, so I wanted to see if anything would work! It seems odd that even irrigating twice-weekly isn't extending the time I can go between changing the catheter.

Most of the sandy build up in the catheter tends to be toward the tip (in my body, the first inch of the catheter). It's weird that it doesn't build up along the full length of the catheter.

So since I first started having these issues I had increased my fluids and started drinking more cranberry juice than before. When the catheter started getting clogged more than occasionally before 4 weeks was up, I decided to change the catheter more often. I was changing it every 3 weeks, then I bumped it down to every 2 weeks when I still had occasional problems.

After going to the urologist 3 weeks ago, I started irrigating my catheter/bladder twice a week. The first catheter in lasted 12 days before it was clogged. The second catheter has been in 10 days, and it also seems to be getting clogged.

Is it healthy to change the catheter every week? Should I try that? I have heard that shocking the bladder by allowing it to get full can make it produce mucus. Is it possible that this type of mucus could be making the sandy grit stick to the catheter quicker?

Quote Originally Posted by EyesOfTexas View Post
    So since I first started having these issues I had increased my fluids and started drinking more cranberry juice than before. When the catheter started getting clogged more than occasionally before 4 weeks was up, I decided to change the catheter more often. I was changing it every 3 weeks, then I bumped it down to every 2 weeks when I still had occasional problems.

After going to the urologist 3 weeks ago, I started irrigating my catheter/bladder twice a week. The first catheter in lasted 12 days before it was clogged. The second catheter has been in 10 days, and it also seems to be getting clogged.

Is it healthy to change the catheter every week? Should I try that? I have heard that shocking the bladder by allowing it to get full can make it produce mucus. Is it possible that this type of mucus could be making the sandy grit stick to the catheter quicker?
    What are you "irrigating" with? There has been a bit written on this website about using Renacidin (Citric Acid, Glucono-Delta-Lactone and Magnesium Carbonate Irrigation). The method described for using this prescription medication is to instill it into the bladder, clamp off the catheter and leave it in the bladder for 15-30 minutes. This is an instillation where the medication stays in the bladder for a period of time rather than a flush or irrigation. Try searching this website or the internet for more information to use as a conversation stater with your doctor.

All the best,
    GJ

My urologist had recommended irrigating with sterile water, but I changed to normal saline solution at the recommendation of the SCI-Nurse here. I have never heard of what you mentioned, but I'll look into it and see if I can ask the doctor about it.

What type of catheter do you use? I've found that silicone catheters will last a lot longer than rubber ones. The rubber catheters look upon me in a matter of a week. I've had a silicone one last over 30 days. And maybe go a little bit bigger than what you're using now.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

What size catheter do you use? My SP cath is a 24 Fr, which is pretty big/wide in diameter. I've heard of some people having problems with catheters clogging up with gunk when they use only a 16Fr or at least some size smaller than a 24. In any event, I hope you find a solution. I've had various issues a few times with my SP cath, and it's really stressful.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=133414
    I have the same problem and read this thread about Mocrocyn Bladder Treatment. I am still experimenting with this, have the problem under controll, but not solved yet. At least I haven't been at the hospital with a clogged catheter in a while, which is great. You might want to check it out.