Thread: Pros & Cons of Ditropan

Pros & Cons of Ditropan

I am a C-6 complete. About three weeks ago, my urologist suggested that I start taking Ditropan ER 10 mg. daily. My bladder's capacity is about 300 ml. before voiding and he thought that it's best to keep the pressure down and keep my bladder from shrinking as I get older.

The result is that I can now hold 500 ml. before I need to cath. On one hand, it's been fabulous because I don't have to cath constantly as soon as I drink a little too much fluids. In fact, I used to cath 4-5 times daily and I now cath 2-3 times. As a total bonus, my erections have been out of this world since I started taking the pill (never was told or expected it).

But my question is whether it's good to let some 500+ ml. of urine to sit in my bladder for a longer period of time than it used to. I always understood that it's best to not allow urine sit there for too long as a way to minimize UTI.

My kidneys/bladder function pretty well in that I don't have any reflux voiding or leaking. I have good sensation to know when I need to cath before I leak.

Any thoughts? Does the benefit of Ditropan outweigh the increased risk of UTI if there is such a risk?

I'd cath every 4 to 6 hours, and all should be good.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I started out with 5 mg Vesicare, changed because of $$ then went to 4 mg Of Detrol LA stayed about the same but I had alot of bladder spasms when I tried to go to bed. Changed back to Vesicare, it helped the bladder spams but I don't think I have the ability to hold me pee as well with it. If I get the urge most of the time I just piss myself now, don't think I had the problems with the Detrol but not sure I want to go back to the bladder spams either!! Does Ditropan work like these 2??

Ditropan is the most widely used drugs to help maintain or increase capacity as well as reduce pressures.

Regardless, if you are on intermittent cath, you should not be allowing your bladder to be more full than about 450 cc. This may mean cathing more often, or limiting your fluids, or both. Studies have shown that the rate of UTI increases (as well as risks for reflux) when you allow your bladder to get more full than this. This generally means cathing 4-6X daily, and avoiding going more than 4 hours (during the day) and 6 hours (at night) between caths. This will also help to prevent the growth of large counts of bacteria in your bladder between catheterizations.

9KLD)

I've taken 5mg of ditropan 3x daily for 25 years. I try to consciously keep track of liquid intake, but have 'sensation' as to when my bladder isn't happy. If I don't take ditropan, my bladder will spasm with 100cc in it. Hell, it will spasm right after I finish peeing.

I am physically hooked on it and don't care. Life without it is miserable. The worst side effects for me are dry mouth and the tooth decay that can happen because of it. My dentist made me floride trays and my teeth have been much happier since.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Without Ditropan, my quality of life diminishes substantially. With the medication, I don't have as many accidents between caths.

As Flicka said, watch the dry mouth. Otherwise, you can pay tons for dental work just to maintain your teeth above and beyond regular cleanings. Use artificial saliva, sugarless candy, tons of h2o to keep your mouth from getting too dry.

Every four to six on cathing.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Ditropan is the most widely used drugs to help maintain or increase capacity as well as reduce pressures.

Regardless, if you are on intermittent cath, you should not be allowing your bladder to be more full than about 450 cc. This may mean cathing more often, or limiting your fluids, or both. Studies have shown that the rate of UTI increases (as well as risks for reflux) when you allow your bladder to get more full than this. This generally means cathing 4-6X daily, and avoiding going more than 4 hours (during the day) and 6 hours (at night) between caths. This will also help to prevent the growth of large counts of bacteria in your bladder between catheterizations.

9KLD)

Thanks, KLD and everyone.