Thread: Miami Project

Miami Project

Here is an Article from the Miami alumni mag
    about the Miami Project.

http://www.miami.edu/miami-magazine/paralysis.html

I think that restoring function in an arm or hand or getting people walking again is a pretty realistic expectation in the next five to ten years."

Merry Christmas everyone
    and another Happy New Year
    of paralysis

I would settle for...

another happy New Year in spite of paralysis.

BUT! 2002 might be the year that someone overseas will develop an effective chronic regeneration therapy. And I expect IN-1 to finally be used on humans.

Hopefully we'll get good news from the dozen or more therapies that do go to trial. After they're proven safe and effectiveness is determined they will be more likely to be used in the combinations that could better help us.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

No Room For Complacancy

I intend to have a happy 2002 despite paralysis

I'd take walking in 5 years - I think after that I might start to doubt it'll ever happen in my life time

The worry is some people are in such pain or poor living circumstances thay they need help quickly

For others their situation can suddenly deteriorate for no apparant reason (that could happen to any of us) - someone on this site said that after 17 years he suddenly developed so much pain that he had to give up work.

It's not a natural or healthy way of life and I think we all deserve treatment as soon as possible

Christopher,

I think we should define "walking" after paralysis more exactly.
    Depending on the type and severity of the injury, I think we must distinguish between "aided" and "free walking" after a cure. In my opinion, many paraplegics will be able to walk with an aid within the next five years (first generation cure). This could be with a cane, two crutches or a walker. Also, we shouldn't forget that there are limits regarding the walking distance.
    Within the next 10 years, when second generation cures will be available your chances of walking better and farther than in the next five years, will certainly be much better.

Wilfried

How do you know?

Chris

I agree with Christopher Paddon. I am a T10 complete injured 16 months ago. Even though I have it made compared to more seriouly injured people, I am in extreme pain everyday and must go to bed after work. No meds or combination of meds have worked. I have no interaction with my family.

Just pissed on myself while writing this.

I posted to Life the other day that our oldest dog died and the first thing my daughter asked was who was gonna bury her because her daddy couldn't--we need a cure NOW.

EM