Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Days like today....

Days like today....

Days like today make me hold those close to me longer and tighter and tell them how much I love them. We take so much for granted and in an instant everything can be gone.

On my way into town today I came upon a horrific accident. Being a former medic I felt I had to stop. No one was on scene yet with medical experience. My heart sank as got out of my vehicle. A passenger in the back of the van was in a wheelchair. The wheelchair had not been locked down and the door on the van had blown out. The chair and passenger were half out of the vehicle. I checked vitals and found none. She was already gone. The driver was alert , the front passanger was pinned and having difficulty breathing. Another victim in another vehcile was doing ok, shook up and terrified but for the most part was ok. I went back to the passenger in the van and spoke to her knowing she was having difficulty, trying to console her.

A state trooper asked to extrecate the victim in the back, my husband helped, and a doctor tried CPR. This "DR" must have been a flippin dermatalogist cause she had no flippin clue what to do, and asked my husband if she should declare the victim DOA! Excuse me if u r the Dr that is your call. GRRRR! They lost prescious time and resources attended to this victim who had already passed. She was gone, and we were losing the other woman in the front seat. By the time EMS arrived on scene she had stopped breathing. i am pretty sure they had lost her by the time they were able to use the jaws of life to free the two in the front but continued to work on her because her husband was awake and aware of what was going on.

It is so frustrating not being able to do what I know needs to be done. I felt so helpless and so upset that no one would listen to me on scene. I hate so much what this SCI has taken from me. I wish I could have made a difference.

What an awful experience. I wish you could have made a difference too.
    This is a good reminder that a lock down is always necessary.

How sad! You did what you could and I understand your frustration! This is an on-going fear of mine: having my son in an accident while driving from his chair. Don't be too hard on yourself!

I am sorry that you had such a rotten day. You did the best you could under the circumstances. I am sure that lady in the front seat was a bit more @ peace because you held her.

Oh, man, that is awful. I am so sorry that this happened, for everyone concerned. You were a great blessing to the passenger in the front seat, in that you consoled and helped her, regardless of what came next. Your kindness is emblazoned on her spirit.

You were born to be a rescuer and not sit on the sideline. Your frustration is justified.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

You did your duty. Let it be.

I read your post to my husband. He felt bad for you and everyone.
    You are right, we need to enjoy each day and love.

Sorry for your horrific experience. What an incredibly sad loss for these people. As a nurse who is no longer able to work the clinical side of my job--I so relate to your feelings. I personally experience feelings of inadequacy because of not being able to perform what my heart tries to tell me is still my duty. But, the most important thing is you done all you were able to do. You may never know how very much it may have meant to the lady who was trapped to have you there during her time of greatest need. It may have been something so simple as just a word or a touch you supplied. May you be blessed for valiant effort.
    Last edited by Patty41; 01-16-2011 at 12:39 PM.

You did all you could. That's all that can be asked of anyone......I'm sure just being there helped. When you are hurt, you never want to feel you're alone. Try to feel peace that you were able to do what you could.......