Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help at college

help at college

When you went to colege did you use a note taker in class? And if you're a para, did you use a note taker or did only the quads use one. I'm a quad and I do write well but still I am struggling to keep up with my math professor in class. He suggested I get a note taker so I went to the disability place on campus. I spoke to a woman and told her my situation. She said I would need to have documentation that I have a mental or physical disability that hinders my writing. I told her I could get the information but she said I probably wouldn't qualify because I already did a semester without a note taker so I obviously don't need one. She also said that since we're already in the 5th week and it would take a couple of weeks to get me in the system that it really wouldn't be worthwhile. I thought our conversation was odd. Anyway I told her she wasn't helpful or encouraging and that I would't be using the services so I started to leave. She then changed her tune and started to apologize but I told her she discouraged me and I left. So did any quads use this service even though you write well.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I told her I could get the information but she said I probably wouldn't qualify because I already did a semester without a note taker so I obviously don't need one. She also said that since we're already in the 5th week and it would take a couple of weeks to get me in the system that it really wouldn't be worthwhile.

I never used a note taker, but I'm a para. While it's reasonable that it may take some time to get you the services you requested (and are entitled to), and you would have been smart to arrange for this prior to the beginning of the semester, the disability services coordinator you dealt with should be shot -- or at least should be made to find a new line of work. Obviously!!

If I encountered an attitude like that I think I would have gone ballistic, and it takes a LOT to get me to that point.

If the doctor says you need one, they'll provide one. Sounds like you got the bad egg in the group - usually the disability resource dept on campuses are top notch. That's been my experience. Sorry you had to run into such a negative person, J.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I never used a note taker, but I'm a para. While it's reasonable that it may take some time to get you the services you requested (and are entitled to), and you would have been smart to arrange for this prior to the beginning of the semester, the disability services coordinator you dealt with should be shot -- or at least should be made to find a new line of work. Obviously!!

If I encountered an attitude like that I think I would have gone ballistic, and it takes a LOT to get me to that point.
    Yeah I know I should have done this prior to the semester but I honestly didn't think I needed it. I don't go ballistic, I always stay pretty calm and that's what I did, I said "ok, i guess I won't be using this place." I told my education director about my encounter and she told me to go back down there and make that woman do her job and to get me the help I need.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    If the doctor says you need one, they'll provide one. Sounds like you got the bad egg in the group - usually the disability resource dept on campuses are top notch. That's been my experience. Sorry you had to run into such a negative person, J.
    Hey BoB, I know that you and Stephen are both para's so what did the disability resource help you with?

my experience with disability services at school is that they do nothing. i suggest you record your classes and listen to them later. can your classmates give you their notes until you arrange something? one of them may be a notetaker already.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Hey BoB, I know that you and Stephen are both para's so what did the disability resource help you with?
    I didn't require a lot of assistance from disability services. There were a few instances where an exam was held in a room that wasn't accessible, so a separate room was found for me. And I was able to arrange for free private tutoring when I was taking a French course, though that's a luxury probably no longer available anywhere.

On the provider end of things, I did volunteer work as a reader and tutor for visually impaired students.

I used a tape recorder. It was many years before sci.
    after school I reviewed my notes and filled in anything I missed. I cannot write fast or legibly now, so I would likely still tape or record lectures or complicated classes if I had the chance to go back to school.

I didn't use a note-taker in college, grad school or law school. I used a mini-recorder in most classes to serve as a back-up to my handwritten or typewritten notes. Taking your own notes, if feasible, improves the learning process. Using a mini-recorder can be time-consuming until you get faster.

At my uni the disability services would pay a designated classmate to take and share notes. Still, like cg and others have said, this was my best educational investment by far:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digita...dp_ob_title_ce