Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small Business

Small Business

Does anyone who is SCI or otherwise disabled have a small business of your own? If so, what resources did you draw upon for start up? I don't mean cash/financial backing, but logistics of your day to day.

My biggest concern is health insurance. What are you doing for coverage? If you had SSDI and Medicare coverage, are you purchasing Medicare out of pocket? Did you use Ticket to Work to expense/plan for additional costs associated with running your small biz as a person with a dis?

Thanks in advcance for any info, experience, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    Does anyone who is SCI or otherwise disabled have a small business of your own? If so, what resources did you draw upon for start up? I don't mean cash/financial backing, but logistics of your day to day.

My biggest concern is health insurance. What are you doing for coverage? If you had SSDI and Medicare coverage, are you purchasing Medicare out of pocket? Did you use Ticket to Work to expense/plan for additional costs associated with running your small biz as a person with a dis?

Thanks in advcance for any info, experience, etc.
    I don't know how small you mean but if its 5 or more you could use an HR outsourcing company. A couple of friends of mine and I started a company about 3 years ago, specifically so we could get health insurance. We used a company called Trinet, it combines a ton of small companies and then uses that combined buying power to negotiate with insurance companies. I have insurance similar to when I worked at Yahoo for a pretty reasonable price.

Perfect idea, T8. Thanks!

To start, it will just be me. I will not/would need need to change health insurance for a short time. Just looking ahead and health insurance has been my greatest fear/hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    Perfect idea, T8. Thanks!

To start, it will just be me. I will not/would need need to change health insurance for a short time. Just looking ahead and health insurance has been my greatest fear/hurdle.
    Cool. BTW, I am in no way affiliated with trinet other than being a customer. We are at 23 people now use them to outsource payroll as well as benefits. Works great.

You can earn up to a certain amount monthly, after taxes, before you would have to give up medicaid if you are on it. It's not much monthly (like $800+/-) but when you consider many start-ups loose money or barely break even you could be alright short-term when it comes to healthcare.

T8, I did not take it that you were affiliated with TriNet. Just really glad to know about them or similar orgs.

Bullock, no idea what the limits are (looking into all of this as we speak), but start up costs are a consideration before any profit is returned. Also, there is LTD from my former employer to consider, but I want to have a go at having my own biz. Craptastic economy and all, it's now or never.

T8burst,

Does your Trinet membership permit you and your business colleagues to gain the insurance benefits in an "open-enrollment" fashion as is the case at GE, IBM, SPX, etc. where existing conditions (e.g., paraplegia or quadriplegia) do not prevent otherwise uninsurable individuals from being covered by the company insurance?

Whatcha starting up?

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    T8burst,

Does your Trinet membership permit you and your business colleagues to gain the insurance benefits in an "open-enrollment" fashion as is the case at GE, IBM, SPX, etc. where existing conditions (e.g., paraplegia or quadriplegia) do not prevent otherwise uninsurable individuals from being covered by the company insurance?
    I don't know the answer to that. I was not injured when we signed up with trinet so it never came up. I do know that my injury did not affect the rate that we pay trinet.

LaMemChose, I would be interested in hearing how your LTD would be affected and what the LTD provider has to say.

Thanks.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.