Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lives that have drastically changed.....

Hi Suzanne. So sorry about Chad. My son broke his neck, diving, on June 4 2004. It's been 6 years (he's about to turn 27 soon). Everyone has given you great advice. Stay on this site and you will learn tons of important info. CC was what saved me! The first year is the roughest! What helped me was to NOT look too far ahead, but rather look back at how far you and Chad have come. I still do that when we have a rough day and it still helps! Keep reminding yourself that there is always HOPE - if we don't have hope, we have nothing. Good luck and we are here for you!

Suzanne, I did my rehab at TIRR. It is one of the best in the US. If you have any questions about TIRR or the Houston medical community I will be glad to help if I can.

Welcome Suzanne! Keep coming back here... CC has lots of into and great people. My husband is a T11 complete since 2005 and I actually have trouble remembering him being able to walk... Chad is fortunate to have a mom like you and the first year is tough. Hang in there and visit the caregivers thread here at CC for lots of tips and knowledge.

Sieg

Hi Suzanne,

Sorry to hear about your sons injury and the complications of dealing with a pressure sore. Glad to hear he's healed and ready for rehab.

I'm a c5/6, I was injured in 1984 and went to TIRR for rehab. I live about 45 minutes north of TIRR. If you ever have any questions feel free to ask.

Renee
    Renee

Welcome Suzanne!

Now that he's healed, it's so great he's going to be returning for more rehab. I've seen so many newbies get kicked out of having chance @ rehab due to an early illness.

You & he both will be amazed what he will & can be able to do on his own. Almost 5 years post & I swear it seems like I still learn something new everyday! The best thing you can do is support him without sheltering, if that makes sense without adding insult.

Good luck to you both!

Suzanne, welcome to this most awesome of sites. You and your son will learn more here than anywhere else, aas said b4. Just ask any questions, what the dr's and nurses can't answer at rehab, you'll get the straight and skinny here. Good luck and God bless.

Suzanne & Chad - Welcome to the group, am very sorry for the loss..stay stong & focused on your recovery. Sending much healing Chi your way. You will get some great support here, like I did - and I'm a relative newbie...wishing you Chad the best and hope you find a great care program here in Houston... I go to TIRR and as many know it's highly rated for good reason. Gabby is there too..good luck !
    '76 L4 GSW incomplete
    (cauda equina)

Hi Suzanne and Chad, and welcome to the forum. It sounds as if you've had a rough road so far, but one day at a time, right? I too went to TIRR for my rehab in 1996. What an incredible place. Chad will be in good hands, there, and will learn lots about his care and his potential for some sort of independence. Good luck to both of you.

Central California/ (the Republican side :)

Evonne

Welcome to CC keep your spirits up and God Bless you and Chad.
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome