Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Monoski Question...

Another Monoski Question...

Hey Guys,

I started mono-skiing a few seasons ago, and last winter, I grabbed a Praschberger and have been loving every minute of it.

I have no problem getting on the chair lift, or actually skiing. Though I do have issues when trying to get off the chair lift. When rocking forward to shift my weight off of the chair, my ski disconnects and I garage sale. If I don't lean far forward enough, I don't slide off the chair. I have adjusted the binding for the highest tension possible. So on the dismount, I pretty much end up leaning too far forward trying to get off, and my ski doesn't hit the snow flat and I'm toast.

I learned to ski in Banff, and never had a problem getting off. It seems as if the better snowpack reduces the distance between chair lift and the ground. When skiing in my home of Ontario, It seems as if I am having to drop off the chair lift at a greater height. Any tips or tricks to help a brother out?

I hope that is not too convulted and makes a lick a sense.

Cheers,
    Sean
    If you watch Jaws backwards, it's about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.

1. Inch up to the front edge of the seat as much as possible before dismounting.
    2. Get racing bindings with really high DIN settings, like 20 to prevent premature release.
    3. Have the liftie when you get on the lift call the liftie at the top of the lift to slow or even stop the chair for you to get off.

Hey arndog,

Thanks for the response!

I should have been more clear earlier. I can get off no problem when the lift is still - It's just trying to get off at a slower pace.

I was starting to get complaints from the lifties for "slowing down" the process when I would ask them to stop the lift for a mere 5 seconds. At one point I was told I could only ski on the begginer side of the hill (when I can ski better than 70% of the AB's there) because I was slowing down the lift.

I am just looking to avoid any headaches this season.

Great idea with the racing bindings, I will definitely look into that.

Cheers,
    Sean
    If you watch Jaws backwards, it's about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.

I have found that the Praschberger can be difficult to unload.

A few items to consider. If your ski is coming off, your bindings may not have a high enough DIN rating, as Arndog mentioned. You may also be trying to come off the lift late and putting a lot of stress on the ski. You can also pin your bindings so that they do not come off the ski. http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/...ding-a-binding...

Spokes n Motion sells plates that go on the underside of the Praschberger that may help it slide of the seat more easily. http://www.spokesnmotion.com/index.asp

Also, some chair lifts may be more difficult than others. The seat on some are angled back more and have more padding, making it difficult to slide off the chair.

I generally prefer that they not slow the chair down for unloading, as there is less momentum for sliding off.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

My son, Matt, finds that unloading at regular lift speed is much easier. As he approaches the top of the lift he puts his hands over his head and then swings them forward to carry himself off the chair- you'll just need to work on the timing.

As for coming out of your ski, its simply a matter of increasing the DIN on your front binding or locking it out by replacing the front spring with a piece of aluminum or copper tubing of the correct length (slightly shorter than the spring).

Good luck!
    In God we trust, all others must prove themselves.

Agreed - fast unloading is the way to go.

I tried a Praschberger years ago and liked it very much. I don't recall having any trouble unloading. I'm of no help at all to this discussion.

You don't have to worry about DIN setting or your ski coming off if you do the following

Remove the din spring in the front portion of your binding and replace it with a piece of galvanized tubing that is just narrow enough to fit in the spring compartment and about 1.5 " long-or whatever suits the compartment length.

Use a block in the rear binding, of course.

Use all metal race bindings like Salomon 916 or 920's

I do park, pipe, skier x and alpine and have never come out of the binding with this set up. I have had a binding come off the ski before-but my rig stayed firmly mounted in my binding I also fell 20 feet off a lift onto hardpack, landed ski side down (thank god) and didn't loose my ski.

Good Luck
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Quote Originally Posted by aidan416 View Post
    I also fell 20 feet off a lift onto hardpack, landed ski side down (thank god) and didn't loose my ski.
    Wow! Were you sliding forward to unload and just slipped?
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Wow! Were you sliding forward to unload and just slipped?
    Yep. Pouring rain, first run with my new KBG...slid forward a little too much and down I went. Thankfully I didn't get hurt and because it was pouring rain no one was on the mountain so I didn't land on anyone. I was in view of the liftie - an old guy who was just back to work after open heart surgery-I thought I killed him!
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Quote Originally Posted by sean9 View Post
    i was starting to get complaints from the lifties for "slowing down" the process when i would ask them to stop the lift for a mere 5 seconds. At one point i was told i could only ski on the begginer side of the hill (when i can ski better than 70% of the ab's there) because i was slowing down the lift.
    that is bullshit. Tell the liftie to get fucked and call the gm,. I guarantee 1 call and you'll never see that liftie again or ever have an issue. We stop load alot w/ bi ski's, no issue ever.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer