Thread: Discrimination

Discrimination

I have been searching for an apartment in my area for several months now, primarily using craigslist (I live in the San Francisco area and it seems like everything is done through Craigslist!) My challenges have been many and one big challenge is getting people to respond to my inquiries.
    Since many homes and apartments may be wheelchair accessible but not listed as such, I always state in my inquiries that I am a wheelchair user. Many times I do not hear back. I'm not looking to sue anyone, but I find it amazing that property and building managers do not have the courtesy to respond to me. Could this be viewed as discrimination?

I guess this is more of a rant since I can't prove anything, but I would like to know your thoughts.

Hi "Cece,"
    I live in the San Francisco Bay area, too. Many homes and apartments in the city just aren't wheelchair accessible mostly due to the age of construction in the area. Newer multi-family buildings should meet accessibility requirements if the construction permits were issued after July 1, 2005. See the attached citation from Redwood City that discusses the California state statute.
    http://www.redwoodcity.org/%5C/bit/building/SB1025.html

When we were looking for apartment accommodation (we now live in our own single family home) in the east bay, the problem we found is that while wheelchair accessible units did exit in multi-family units, most, if not all, were rented or leased to people without disabilities. The accessible units have the appeal of being larger over all. There is no law requiring that the accessible apartments be reserved and rented only to people with disabilities.

Have you tried calling the Independent Living Centers in the bay area? Many of them maintain information on accessible housing. They may be able to give you more insight in how to find housing that will meet your requirements. Calling and talking with personnel at property management offices directly may give you better results than answering ads you see by email.

All the best,
    GJ

Hi GJ-

Thank you for the information. I have checked with the CIL, but since I don't currently live in the East Bay(i'm in SF) they are not funded to assist me. THey did send me some information but it was geared more towards section 8 and housing for the elderly.
    I would love to be in a single family house and am hoping to find something that can easily be ramped. I'm mostly looking in Berkeley and Oakland.
    Anyway, the search continues. I guess I'm just a little frustrated.

Thanks again!

I would suggest using a service such as www.zillow.com to see pics of the outside of buildings. Many of the listings also have pictures of the interiors of the apartments, so you have some idea of what the floorplan looks like as well. Keep in mind that they quite purposefully use wide angle lens to make things look larger than they actually are, but it serves as a guide. The most important benefit is the pics of the outside, since may buildings show ramps or level entrances. Only after finding one with no outside obstacles contact whoever the listing agent is and tell them you want to see the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by cece View Post
    Hi GJ-

Thank you for the information. I have checked with the CIL, but since I don't currently live in the East Bay(i'm in SF) they are not funded to assist me. THey did send me some information but it was geared more towards section 8 and housing for the elderly.
    I would love to be in a single family house and am hoping to find something that can easily be ramped. I'm mostly looking in Berkeley and Oakland.
    Anyway, the search continues. I guess I'm just a little frustrated.

Thanks again!
    UC Berkeley has a department for disabled students. This is an out of the box idea, but if you call them and ask them about housing they might give you some leads (even though you are not a student).
    Disabled Students’ Program
    260 César E. Chávez Student Center, #4250
    Berkeley, CA 94720-4250
    Voice: 510-642-0518

I share your frustration about looking for housing. 20 years ago, when we were looking for a house to buy, it was very hard to find single story single family homes that had potential for remodeling for wheelchair accessibility.

All the best,
    GJ

Try a google search using search words "apartments for disabled" in your area. I was able to locate several in Florida this way.

Hi
    Here is some good website for housing,, just narrow down to the area you want to live then spend some time to call them and ask them on phone to see if they have apartments for disabled
    http://www.apartments.com/
    http://www.friendlylandlord.com/
    http://www.apartmentguide.com/