Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Birding

Blog Entries

Post Birding

My Forum picture shows me with a bird scope. In response to a couple questions about how the tripod works; here's what we did. Got a small tripod. Made a wooden lapboard with foam backing to keep it from sliding. On the board we glued thee small blocks to keep the tripod from traveling. Here's what the set up looks like.

Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

That is such a nice bridge. Is it near your home?

Thanks for that Tom, I've been struggling with a monopod your method looks far more stable.

Tom, your set up looks fantastic. I've been searching around to identify a bird that was at my house this last summer. I haven't been able to find it. Perhaps you would be able to help me? He was very shy, so I wasn't able to snap his picture!

This bird had a brilliant blue head with black bandit mask. A very definative brilliant orange scarf ring around the throat. I believe it had a v shaped tail. He sat on a bush about 30 ft from the house and would wait until the feeder was empty of finches. He'd quickly fly in and feed on cracked sunflower seeds and leave quickly back to the bush if any other finches came along. He was more plump and round than a more slender finch... His coloration was remarkable!

I've checked the eastern bluebird, western bluebird and the Lazuli Bunting. I really don't seem to find an exact match for this little guy. He appeared quite exotic looking and was all alone. I never saw a mate with him. It was July, early August, so our weather was warm. I couldn't help but wonder if he was out of his migratory pattern? I'm hoping he comes back this year. I'll sit away from the house with a zoom lens and see if I can catch him at the feeder or sitting in the bush waiting for his turn to feed. Would you have any idea what he could have been? He was in the panhandle of Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    In response to a couple questions about how the tripod works; here's what we did. Got a small tripod. Made a wooden lapboard with foam backing to keep it from sliding. On the board we glued thee small blocks to keep the tripod from traveling. Here's what the set up looks like.
    Looks like a nice set up Tom .

I have been keeping an eye out for a small tripod for photography after wearing out an inexpensive one I have... Any preferences / recommendations on small tripods?

I have a large ( regular size) Sunpak brand tripod and a window mount for my vehicle but looking for a smaller table top.

Thanks in advance.
    Ches

Blog Entries
    The picture was taken on the Marblehead Peninsula which is about an hour from where live.

The tripod I use is a Slik tripod. I bought it at a local camera store because it was the only small one they had.

So much for the easy questions. The bird in Nebraska has me puzzled. I'll check some books and let you know if I find and possibilities.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    The tripod I use is a Slik tripod. I bought it at a local camera store because it was the only small one they had.
    Thanks Tom, I found some good ideas on their (Slik) website that will be useful.

no offense dude, but "birding". cmon.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    no offense dude, but "birding". cmon.
    ........ and your point is?

Some people enjoy activities of a more intellectual nature. "Birding" or birdwatching is a branch of Zoology called Ornithology. Nothing wrong with it.