Thread: TiLite Casters

TiLite Casters

I'm concerned about this, and thought I'd ask what I should do here, with so many of you knowledgeable about chair maintenance. My brand new ZRA2 was making a clicking sound from my left caster last night, so I investigated. The left one rotates normally, very fluid like it should. The right has some resistance to it, and sounds like it's older, like there's some gunk in there. And it makes a slight cracking sound here and there.

I can only think maybe it was because I *carefully* ran a hose on the wheel part, but then quickly dried everything. I wouldn't think that could be an issue, since it's going to get a little wet at times, like in rain...? What do I do? I have to fly out of state tomorrow, so I can't really do much about it at the moment I guess. Just worried about this.

My casters make noises all the time. I have to clean/grease my bearings about 2-3 times per year. Only once, though, in 17 years have I had bearings seize up on me, so I think you'll be fine.

Weird that it's happening to a newer caster, though. When you get back, I'd just take it off and clean it. You can pop off the housing rings covering the bearings to see if there's any grit in there.

I never hear my casters rolling. Maybe I'm deaf. Never had bearing seize either. Seems weird to me. A good cleaning may help.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

any hair clogged around the axle; that'll slow down a caster bigtime. I imagine your axles are the kind with screws at the end of them. They're really faunky in that you can't adjust the tightness with out the screws eventualy coming loose and falling off.
    I suggest you change them with a bolt and nut. I forget the size to get at the hardware store but there are threads here with the correct length x 5/16th width.

I look at the housing for them, and am totally confused as to how to do anything. Not that I'm good at it with any other chair :P It sounds and feels better today, so maybe it was just dampness inside. Weird. When I bathed my dog today, I used a high powered blower on them lol. Yep, having a German Shepherd can mean hair getting stuck everywhere. Par for the course.
    I wonder if those disc things on the end pop off and can be replaced. It's so hard not to ding those up! I got my first today, pout.

I have Tilite soft rolls 4x1 casters and Inever heard any strange noise from it.

Quote Originally Posted by heartdog View Post
    I wonder if those disc things on the end pop off and can be replaced. It's so hard not to ding those up! I got my first today, pout.
    You should be able to pop off those disc things. I use a bent paper clip or other pin of some sort. If you don't bend the disc too much getting it off, it should pop right back on.

I assume you mean the disc that protects the bearings. I know that on some casters it's a metal disc, which may be more difficult to remove.