View Poll Results:

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope, I recovered all my function during the first year and have had no more motor or sensory recovery since

85 34.14%
  • Yes, I recovered additional motor or sensory function in the second year after injury

88 35.34%
  • Yes, I recovered additional function at 3-5 years after injury

47 18.88%
  • Yes, I recovered additional function at 6-10 years after injury

14 5.62%
  • Yes, I recovered additional function at over 10 years after injury

15 6.02%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Did you recover some function more than 1 year after injury?

Did you recover some function more than 1 year after injury?

I am curious to see how many people recovered voluntary motor or sensory function more than one year after injury. Please feel free to post details about your recovery. Recovery means appearance of motor or sensory function that was not present at 1 year after injury. Sensory recovery includes a patch of touch or pressure sensation on the skin, induced pain, bladder and/or bowel sensation, and ability to sense joint movements. Motor recovery includes voluntary movements better than what you had at 12 months after injury, including sphincter control and moving muscles voluntarily (not involuntary spasms). If you are "incomplete", I consider significantly greater strength or better coordination to indicate recovery.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on November 28, 2001 at 04:47 AM.]

My return tapered off at about 1 1/2 years, but I got another burst at about 2 years or longer. I attribute this return to picking up working out again. I had very little hamstring before, and I can lift my heels straight up if I lay on my stomach.

If I get on a leg machine for hamstrings, I can do about 20 lbs. now. I have started working out again (I am 4 years post injury now), but I have not noticed any further return.

Hensley-Martin Management

Recovery

I am a T12/L1 flaccid and I have slowly revovered feelings in my right leg to my mid calf, and gained some motor from my inner thigh abs and hip hiker, but mostly my inner thigh within the first three yrs, then the other leg, my left, then and still is showing the same recovery but not as strong 9 yrs after. I get these sharp stabbing pains in the motor recovery.

NO RECOVERY OPTION

Shouldn't there be a "never recovered anything at any time" option?

Christopher

Good point.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Relevance?

Given that there will be a decreasing number of eligible respondents for each choice, seriously skewing any results, what are the goals of this poll?

[This message was edited by Rick on November 27, 2001 at 09:30 AM.]

Recovery vs strengthening

I think some of the replies indicate strengthening rather than recovery. Also the effect of 4-AP may be considered by some as recovery rather than reenforcement of existing signals.

But it does show what I was told by my rehab docs, "Almost all recovery takes place during the first 18 mos." However, most went on to say that they had heard stories about recovery years after injury.
    Could be the result of self-decompression of the cord.

Joe B

decreasing levels

I was diagnosed complete at t12, 18 months ago. Since then I have gotten back all of my lower abdominals, IT band in the left thigh, some glutes, and even a little hamstring. I have some light touch sensation down to the knee, but the touch sensation hasn't changed since the injury.

Christopher Paddon, if a person does not recover anything after injury, they would fall into the first category. This poll may provide us with some surprising results. For many years, rehabilitation doctors tended to tell patients that they are unlikely to recover anything more than a year after injury. Based on personal experience, I think that we might be surprised by the number of people that recover some function even many years after injury.

Joe B, I agree that some of the recovery is due to "strengthening" as opposed to reconnection but I am not looking for the mechanism of recovery as much as just the simple fact of recovery. I don't think that we understand enough about the recovery mechanisms or have the tools to discern the mechanisms in people. Even in animals, it is not clear why they recover.

Rick, The purpose of the poll is to see how many people recover function more than a year after injury. We should expect to see a declining number of people showing recovery at more than 2 years after injury. I think that we are already seeing that over half of the people are recovering some function more than 1 year after injury and that some people are continuing to recover some function up to 10 or more years after injury.

This poll is flawed in that it does not segregate people that are complete and incomplete. Also, I made a mistake in the second option... i.e. recovery at 1-2 years after injury. I have just corrected this to indicate the second year after injury. In any case, I think that this poll is already telling us that many people are getting some function back beyond a year after injury.

Wise.

Wise.

dr young how much do you think is real recovery versus other muscles becoming stronger giving the illusion of recovery?