Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nerve pain & being over-medicated

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Nerve pain & being over-medicated

I'm a C5/6 incomplete and am 11 1/2 yrs. post-accident. I have HORRIBLE nerve pain in my hips and legs. I'm on a shit ton of medication and it seems to do NOTHING anymore! These are all the meds I'm on:
    (for nerve pain):
    -Neurontin 1200mg 3x/day
    -Zoloft 100mg 1x/day
    -Elavil 50mg/day
    (for spasticity):
    Enablex 15mg 2x/day
    Baclofen (I have the pump) 88 mcg/day

Anyone on any different meds that work for your nerve pain? I hate neurontin because it has made me gain weight & doesn't work very well =/. And the anti-depressants don't seem to do much either. But on a positive note, I LOVE my baclofen pump, got it last month!

Maybe talk to your PM doc about a trial with Lyrica instead of Neurontin. Personally, it was more effective for me. Consider changing Zoloft to Cymbalta that is an AD drug with FDA indications for neuropathic pain , I believe. What about opiates? They help me get through the day as the NP pain worsens later in the day.

Weight gain. Do you exercise? There is currently a thread about calorie counting which has good ideas. You won't gain weight if you can lower your caloric intake and increase your caloric expenditure (working out). I wish you luck.
    arndog

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Maybe talk to your PM doc about a trial with Lyrica instead of Neurontin. Personally, it was more effective for me. Consider changing Zoloft to Cymbalta that is an AD drug with FDA indications for neuropathic pain , I believe. What about opiates? They help me get through the day as the NP pain worsens later in the day.

Weight gain. Do you exercise? There is currently a thread about calorie counting which has good ideas. You won't gain weight if you can lower your caloric intake and increase your caloric expenditure (working out). I wish you luck.
    arndog
    Thanks for the advice! I do exercise - have therapy for 9 hours a week. I really don't eat that much, probably about 1200 calories -if even- per day. I currently have a script for vicoprofen, but it takes a lot of convincing on my part to get my dr. to prescribe decent pain meds.

Have you tried marijuana? It helps alot with my nerve pain.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Sh1wn View Post
    Have you tried marijuana? It helps alot with my nerve pain.
    I wish medical pot was legal in Illinois! Can't smoke due to random drug tests at work.

My husband takes 60mg Cymbalta. It made a difference when increased from 30 to 60mg. He also takes Lyrica which is more effective for him than Neurontin.
    If the nerve pain gets really bad Ativan helps.
    No day seems to be the same though.
    Last edited by LindaT; 01-13-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spell

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    A very overlooked drug for nerve pain is Valium .
    It got a bad name in the 1970s but it works for me.

I take a small dose,5mg when the pain or spasticity is really bad. In my case it works better than the opiates.

Gabapentin 1200 mg/x 3 per day
    A few hits of natures weed before bed.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    Last edited by Tarkus; 01-13-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    A very overlooked drug for nerve pain is Valium .
    It got a bad name in the 1970s but it works for me.

I take a small dose,5mg when the pain or spasticity is really bad. In my case it works better than the opiates.

Gabapentin 1200 mg/x 3 per day
    A few hits of natures weed before bed.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    I recently listened to a Pain Management Doc give a talk about treating neuropathic pain, and his favorite drug was Klonopin which is in the same class as Valium (benzodiazapines). Both of these drugs have anticonvulsant properties and muscle relaxant properties. Even Xanax helps me a little (although who doesn't it help.)

I have a really bad crushing pain in my hips. I wear a lumbar back brace around them all day which helps by squeezing them. Kind of tricks the brain.
    C3/4 Incomplete. Ependymoma tumor, syrinx from C to T.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Many doctors including those at The Miami Project are going back to the old school drugs. They work directly on the nerves. Zanex and the like work through the brain far less effective.

BeBig,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Hi Maggie Mae,

I actually found that Zoloft made my nerve pain much worse. Since stopping the medication, I have stumbled across a couple different mixed studies that indicate the same. Good luck to you in finding some better options. Chronic pain is such an emotional zapper.