Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OTC Sleeping Pills ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    My mother went to the hospital. I told her how ironic it was for an anti-histamine to cause an allergic reaction. She also said something to the effect of being told to avoid anything ending with -dryl from then on. This was in the 70s or so.
    Just as a side note todd, I dont know what your mom's reaction was but if she had palpitations or hypotension or something from the Benadryl, that would be a good reason for the md to tell her not to take it again. Some adverse reactions are not so benign. Most allergies will be seen with the skin and can exacerbate very quickly, rash, swelling, breathing difficulties etc. and can be life threatening. Anaphylaxis happens pretty quick after taking the med.
    Last edited by marycsm77; 01-16-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    Anaphylaxis happens pretty quick after taking the med.
    Latex has done that to me. It got worse over time. As a child, I'd develop rashes and itching in and around my throat after visting the dentist, so I noticed this as a pattern and thought it might be the powder on the gloves, thus, I avoided the powder but not the latex for years and was fine. After being paralyzed, I was around it so much, it obviously disturbed my system so much it advanced to more severe reactions, particularly if the latex made contact with my bloodstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Latex has done that to me. It got worse over time. As a child, I'd develop rashes and itching in and around my throat after visting the dentist, so I noticed this as a pattern and thought it might be the powder on the gloves, thus, I avoided the powder but not the latex for years and was fine. After being paralyzed, I was around it so much, it obviously disturbed my system so much it advanced to more severe reactions, particularly if the latex made contact with my bloodstream.
    Very common allergy as Im sure you know. Those symptoms you describe can be very dangerous. Please make sure there is always a way for someone to know this if god forbid you are ever in a situation where you can't speak for yourself. Good to keep something in your wallet stating your allergies, or those bracelets or something, sure your mom knows you are allergic, so that everyone is aware if a situation arises.

I am highly allergic to penicillin and Keflex and was given it in the hospital many years ago IV for a severe infection. I developed a rash which was tx'd with benadryl. I was sent home with penicillin in pill form. I developed angioedema, my entire body swelled up and had to have my clothes cut off in the emergency room.
    Last edited by marycsm77; 01-16-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    I am highly allergic to penicillin and Keflex and was given it in the hospital many years ago IV for a severe infection. I developed a rash which was tx'd with benadryl. I was sent home with penicillin in pill form. I developed angioedema, my entire body swelled up and had to have my clothes cut off in the emergency room.
    My eyelids puffed up so much, I could see the liquid beneath the skin. Talk about odd. It's amazing how as fucked up my face got, it all went back to normal when the reaction settled.

LOL, now lots of people want to answer my ?, thats just been laying around for a while.. I am not allergic to anything i have come across in this world, including benadryl.
    I would only take the written oral amount of anything. Not tryin to over do it, or be on anything long term. just reverse my sleep cycle. good morning.
    B
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

Quote Originally Posted by barondidit View Post
    LOL, now lots of people want to answer my ?, thats just been laying around for a while.. I am not allergic to anything i have come across in this world, including benadryl.
    I would only take the written oral amount of anything. Not tryin to over do it, or be on anything long term. just reverse my sleep cycle. good morning.
    B
    Sorry Baron, I thought people did make suggestions to you. I take a supplement that contains the following:

Calcium, Magnesium, Melatonin, 5-HTP, Valerian extract, Hops extract, Passionflower Extract and Chamomile.

I suggest an OTC that I know works for someone else.
    Sometimes questions here turn into informative discussions or sometimes just silly chatting.
    It's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I suggest an OTC that I know works for someone else.
    Sometimes questions here turn into informative discussions or sometimes just silly chatting.
    It's a good thing.
    true. fact. thank you.
    Eh, im just gonna roll'" with it for now. Maybe just pull an all nighter and try to go to sleep, early tomorrow.
    braaaaiiiiinnss!!!!
    B
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

I'm trying melatonin for the first time tonight. I'm not one to take a lot of pills if I don't need to so even though people say this is safe, I'm still nervous. Eek.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by CurlieQCarrie View Post
    I'm trying melatonin for the first time tonight. I'm not one to take a lot of pills if I don't need to so even though people say this is safe, I'm still nervous. Eek.
    If I may just make a suggestion curlieq, take the melatonin a bit before going to bed. But try and relax before bed, quiet time, lights low, a little reading maybe or tv, soothing music. Melatonin is very subtle, so it's not going to hit you like a pharmaceutical. Try to keep the atmosphere you're in a quiet and calm one. Good luck and hope you have a good night's sleep.