Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Local Gym Accessibility Issues

Quote Originally Posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
    I have a feeling the two rowers didn't say "miss manager we only want our rowers on the SECOND floor". How about moving 2 pieces of equipment upstairs that are available downstairs, and then moving BOTH rowers downstairs so the two can still train together.
    When I went to college (the year before my SCI) I joined a 24 hour fitness in Orange County (Newport Beach to be exact) that was 2 story and didn't have an elevator. To make it worse, they didn't even have weight equipment on the first floor, the lower level was all cardio. I already had issues climbing stairs b/c of my back problems from Scoliosis, so going to the gym was always a task getting up the huge flight of stairs to the second floor.
    I did love this gym for their equipment though. They had these awesome weight machines where you pushed a button to add or decrease weight and it was all regulated by air pressure. You never had to lift weight plates or pull pins to change the weight of your exercise, and you weren't limited to 5 pound increments. They also had a wonderful indoor pool and spa. I once went to the gym at 2am to use the pool b/c I couldn't sleep. It was wonderful.
    I have looked for a gym post injury with those button operated weight machines, but have not found them anywhere else. Wherever I go now has to be fully accessible (either have an elevator or machines that I can use) and have an indoor heated pool and spa. I love to swim, so that would be a deal breaker not to have.
    Good luck working with that gym manager. She sounds very closed minded. Hopefully you can talk some sense into her before having to get "law enforcement" involved.
    Thanks Mandy. Moving both pieces to the first floor - that's the obvious solution that I suggested to her. She said that she had moved a stair-stepper or something from one spot over to another in the past, and people were 'in an uproar' over that, so she really didn't want to move anything. This was before I sent the link to the ADA regulation.
    I'm really not interested in how many people might be mad at her, though - that is something she will have to deal with. Chances are good that she's just going to trash-talk me when people come to her about why things are moved, but so be it. Things will be moved, and I work out with my headphones on. They can talk all they like.
    -Taziar

Quote Originally Posted by taziar View Post
    Thanks Mandy. Moving both pieces to the first floor - that's the obvious solution that I suggested to her. She said that she had moved a stair-stepper or something from one spot over to another in the past, and people were 'in an uproar' over that, so she really didn't want to move anything. This was before I sent the link to the ADA regulation.
    I'm really not interested in how many people might be mad at her, though - that is something she will have to deal with. Chances are good that she's just going to trash-talk me when people come to her about why things are moved, but so be it. Things will be moved, and I work out with my headphones on. They can talk all they like.
    -Taziar
    The club owner can take the high road by posting a sign that says "We are proud to be an accessible facility!!" I'd like to see club members grouse after reading that. The barrier to accommodation here is attitudinal, not logistical.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The club owner can take the high road by posting a sign that says "We are proud to be an accessible facility!!" I'd like to see club members grouse after reading that. The barrier to accommodation here is attitudinal, not logistical.
    Totally agree. I'll suggest that very thing to her. I was really hoping this would go smoother, but at this point it's like talking to a wall. Or maybe this guy:

Totally agree. I'll suggest that very thing to her. I was really hoping this would go smoother, but at this point it's like talking to a wall. Or maybe this guy:
    Seriously, the owner can turn this into a positive and be in the vanguard of inclusiveness in your community. A local newspaper could even be invited to write a story to showcase how inclusiveness is not only the right thing to do, but promotes business as well. An ounce of integrity and public mindedness can go a long way. She needs to see how this is going to enhance her business, but if she's too obtuse to recognize this, then you can invite a reporter to showcase the damage of being non-inclusive and discriminatory.

So what's it gonna be, lady? Lemons or lemonade?

Finally looks like I got a resolution to this silly issue. After a week of silence on the email front I called the front desk a few times and mentioned that I might have to file an ADA claim. She emailed saying that a rowing machine had been made available, thanks for your patience etc etc.
    I have not been in yet to try it out, as we had some nasty winter weather here last night, but I plan on giving it a go tomorrow morning.
    Thanks Stephen and others for your tips and support!

Finally looks like I got a resolution to this silly issue. After a week of silence on the email front I called the front desk a few times and mentioned that I might have to file an ADA claim. She emailed saying that a rowing machine had been made available, thanks for your patience etc etc.
    I have not been in yet to try it out, as we had some nasty winter weather here last night, but I plan on giving it a go tomorrow morning.
    Thanks Stephen and others for your tips and support!
    Congratulations on your tenacity and convincing the gym manager to make equipment accessible to you. Enjoy your workouts.

All the best,
    GJ

The owner of this gym might be the dumbest person I've ever met.

So, I'm sure none of you remember the whole rowing machine saga that she put me through a while back. Everything has been fine there - been rowing, getting sweaty and tired and all that. Next step, naturally, is to hit the showers.

There are three showers in the men's locker room. Two are standard stand-up showers, and one with grab bars, handheld shower head, shower chair, and unlike the other two, no 3" lip at the bottom preventing one from pulling up close th the shower chair for transfers.

Long story short, the hold for the handheld shower head broke, so you cannot hang the head on the wall and use it as a stand-up shower. This happened two weeks ago. The solution from management: Tap up a hand-written "Out of Order" sign and call it a day.

I tried using one of the other showers the first day - I moved the chair over and made the leap across and back safely. Gotta be honest, though - it was not easy and I was nervous about falling on that lip and breaking (another) hip or something. So, screw that - since then I've been moving the idiot sign out of the way and using the accessible and very functional shower every morning. I'm really tired of the looks I'm getting from other patrons - it feels like I'm some sort of subversive, breaking rules just to be contrary.

I'm not really worried about that, and I'm certainly not going to stop using the shower, but I think it's going to come down to me threatening to sue this profoundly stupid or lazy woman to get her to act. I already had a look through the ADA Guidelines link that Stephen posted earlier in the thread, but I don't see anything in relation to showers.

So, thoughts?

Thanks all,
    Taziar

I'm not clear on what the problem is. Despite the broken hook you're still able to use the shower, correct? Are you being told not to use this "functional shower" because it is "out of order?" If that's the case, then it's more than reasonable to assume that it has to be repaired promptly. After all, if there was a legal requirement to install a "handicapped"-accessible shower, there is also a requirement to make sure that it is working.

I'm not clear on what the problem is. Despite the broken hook you're still able to use the shower, correct? Are you being told not to use this "functional shower" because it is "out of order?"
    Yup, that's the problem exactly. The owner is saying not to use it because of the broken bracket, but is also showing no signs of repairing it. Fortunately, she is not on site early in the morning, and her employee has a brain and is not hassling me about taking down the taped up sign and using the shower every day.

If that's the case, then it's more than reasonable to assume that it has to be repaired promptly. After all, if there was a legal requirement to install a "handicapped"-accessible shower, there is also a requirement to make sure that it is working.
    I think that's the rub - it's more than reasonable, in my opinion, and in your opinion, and yet the shower still remains taped off two weeks after it initially 'broke.' I'm just not dealing with a reasonable person, here. I can't figure out if she's lazy or dumb or both, but it's absolutely exasperating dealing with her. I know that, technically, I don't really have a problem - I'm able to shower every morning, but I also am getting strange looks when people see me taking to the out of order sign. I'm used to getting strange looks, but not quite in this context, you know?

Shower fixed. Had to send a very pointed email, but it was done the next day. Man, I feel like a whiner sometimes.