Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wanting to move to Florida

wanting to move to Florida

I'm a C-5, C-6 complete. I've been injured for 11 years. This year was my breakthrough year.

I got my license.
    I got my van that I can drive.
    I moved out of my moms.
    I bought my own home and hired an aid.

My dad still helps me with my bowel program and showers.

I really hate the cold weather here in PA and wanted to move to Fort Lauderdale in Florida. Me and my Dad are taking a trip down there in February for 2 weeks for a vacation, but also to look at houses. I want to buy a place down there and move from PA (I really hate it here).

My question is: does anyone know a good agency in that area, as I would need help getting in and out of bed as well as help with my bowel program and showers, because my Dad is going to stay in PA or would I be better off hiring a live in and what is a reasonable amount to pay someone for that? My mom said she wold be willing to live down there with me (my parents are divorced), but it's possible I might be the only one moving if I'm able to. As a quad the cold weather is just too harsh on me, I barley leave the house in the cold seasons. Just a little chill an make me very cold as I can't regulate cold tempatures well at all. I love hot weather. The hotter the better.

Any thoughts. I am financially stable, employment is not an issue.

Larsen...I grew up in the Ft Lauderdale area (Deerfield Beach) and unfortunately South FL is not nerely as nice as it used to be. We moved to Port St Lucie 6 years ago to get out of the rat race.

Do your homework on houses especially if you're wanting to purchase. Yes, prices are down, but you're still probably going to be paying more than what it's worth (in that area).

Sorry I can't help you on the agency question, I never used one.

Good luck, and enjoy the vacation!
    C5 Incomplete - 25 years of experience!

I live in Deland. You might look on the west side of the state. The gulf keeps the temps more stable. I use to live in Zephyrhills. Liked it over there.
    Good deals on foreclosures here now. Just hire a lawyer to check the title and paper work.

Hi Larsen,

The wind off the Delaware River is very cold and damp there in Morrisville during the winter. I used to live in Levittown, PA and worked at the Fairless Works steel mill. The mill was on the river and at times I worked as a "hooker" loading ships. Man, the mixture of water and steel really got cold.

I'm in N. Central Florida (Ocala) now. I don't know how SCIs can live up north in the winter.

I'm a para and live alone and don't need any type of medical assistance so I'm not familiar with PCA or nursing agencies. Sorry I can't be of any help in that regard.

But com'on down! Just be aware that hurricanes can be a bitch especially if you live directly on the coast. I'm inland and they can be quite destructive here too. I lost a couple dozen roof shingles during Hurricane Jeanne a few years ago.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Blog Entries

The cold is a bitch to deal with up north for sure but

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post
    Hi Larsen,

The wind off the Delaware River is very cold and damp there in Morrisville during the winter. I used to live in Levittown, PA and worked at the Fairless Works steel mill. The mill was on the river and at times I worked as a "hooker" loading ships. Man, the mixture of water and steel really got cold.

I'm in N. Central Florida (Ocala) now. I don't know how SCIs can live up north in the winter.

I'm a para and live alone and don't need any type of medical assistance so I'm not familiar with PCA or nursing agencies. Sorry I can't be of any help in that regard.

But com'on down! Just be aware that hurricanes can be a bitch especially if you live directly on the coast. I'm inland and they can be quite destructive here too. I lost a couple dozen roof shingles during Hurricane Jeanne a few years ago.

Bob.
    How do you deal with the oppressive heat in summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    How do you deal with the oppressive heat in summer?
    Hi Tim,

The same way folks up north deal with the oppressive heat in the summer. It can get pretty damn hot and humid in PA, NJ & NY during the summer months, especially during July & August. The heat and humidity just lasts longer down here... say June thru October.

I'm a para so the heat does get to me but most every place is air conditioned. I've read here at CC that some quads wear wool hats even in the summer months because they just can't seem to be able to regulate or maintain their body warmth. I guess everyone with a SCI deals with temperatures differently.

An advantage of living in FL is the topography is rather flat unlike PA and some other northern states which are quite hilly. If you're in a power chair I guess the slopes aren't too much of a hassle and in any event most places anywhere near the shore are naturally flat. Like the Jersey shore and the Jersey Pine Barrens etc.

I'm not trying to push FL, live wherever ya want to. I've only been up north twice since my injury and both times were in the winter. Once during an ice storm when there were slick sheets of ice on the ground. The wind was pushing me sideways!

Other advantages of FL is that most of the houses down here are single story structures and quads aren't required to pay property taxes.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Blog Entries

I'm all for living in Fla. Just curious as I love heat but

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post
    Hi Tim,

The same way folks up north deal with the oppressive heat in the summer. It can get pretty damn hot and humid in PA, NJ & NY during the summer months, especially during July & August. The heat and humidity just lasts longer down here... say June thru October.

I'm a para so the heat does get to me but most every place is air conditioned. I've read here at CC that some quads wear wool hats even in the summer months because they just can't seem to be able to regulate or maintain their body warmth. I guess everyone with a SCI deals with temperatures differently.

An advantage of living in FL is the topography is rather flat unlike PA and some other northern states which are quite hilly. If you're in a power chair I guess the slopes aren't too much of a hassle and in any event most places anywhere near the shore are naturally flat. Like the Jersey shore and the Jersey Pine Barrens etc

I'm not trying to push FL, live wherever ya want to. I've only been up north twice since my injury and both times were in the winter. Once during an ice storm when there were slick sheets of ice on the ground. The wind was pushing me sideways!

Other advantages of FL is that most of the houses down here are single story structures and quads aren't required to pay property taxes.

Bob.
    just as this cold shuts me in, the oppressive humidity does too. As a quad I always seek out the sun for warmth and worship it here in NY. Only, it seems like I fail to realize when the heat's too much and then it puts me to sleep. I all of a sudden find mysef getting weak despite staying hydrated. It's weird, when I get back inside and eat I recover. It dosen't happen in winter. That just altogther sucks.

Funny, i think the same thing every winter, va beach ain't too bad, but every december/janurary, i swear i'm moving
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I read articles online and even saw something on the Discovery channel about Florida having a big wild pig/hog problem. Is it as bad as they say it is?

Blog Entries

Wild hogs? Define "problem".

Problem for paras/ quads., or normal folk?
    I wouldn't want to be forced to try and out run them in my moto chair.