Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rutgers’ LeGrand gives first interview since spinal cord injury

Rutgers’ LeGrand gives first interview since spinal cord injury

Rutgers’ LeGrand gives first interview since spinal cord injury
    Posted by John Taylor on January 6, 2011, 10:15 AM EST

For the first time since suffering a devastating spinal cord injury in mid-October, Rutgers’ Eric LeGrand has granted an interview to a member of the media.

And, by all appearances, LeGrand has made tremendous strides since a hit covering a kickoff against Army left him paralyzed and, initially, with little hope of ever walking again.

According to a press release issued by the school, LeGrand told ESPN’s Tom Rinaldi that he has full sensation in his entire body and movement in his shoulders. Rinaldi spoke to LeGrand at the Kessler Institute in West Orange, N.J., where he is in rehabilitation; the full interview will air Friday morning during SportsCenter.

read....

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...l-cord-injury/

There's still no evidence I can see that he can move any limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    There's still no evidence I can see that he can move any limbs.
    Perhaps we should wait until we have a better picture of what has happened. If this is a spontaneous recovery, again the question begged is: How?
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

espn

The video and story is on the espn web site http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5995681

He's breathing on his own, has sensation but no movement as far as I can tell. Hoping he continues to progress and recover more.

Blog Entries

He, like so many others, is too young for this hell.

It sounds like he is at least ASIA B, I hope he keeps on improving. Does anyone know if his spinal cord suffered a contusion, or if it's only swollen?
    It's too bad his coach's words are misleading the media, it takes a lot more than just willpower to recover from spinal injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    ... It's too bad his coach's words are misleading the media, it takes a lot more than just willpower to recover from spinal injury.
    Hmmmm... I thought we were all just a bunch of weak-willed lazy people b/c we are still paralyzed... We could walk if we worked hard and wanted to. Oh, and had faith.. don't for get the faith!

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zapp View Post
    Hmmmm... I thought we were all just a bunch of weak-willed lazy people b/c we are still paralyzed... We could walk if we worked hard and wanted to. Oh, and had faith.. don't for get the faith!
    no shit right
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Blog Entries

That's right, you must like those chairs?

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zapp View Post
    What's that?
    You don't?
    Then just try harder.

On a serious note, I sincerely wish he realizes his dream.

I want a monkey
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

He should live long enough to see something meaningful happen in spinal cord research. Otherwise, sad story.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com