Thread: Joan Rivers' new reality show - funny promos!

Todd,
    I watched her special on Showtime the other night and came away amazed at how very vulnerable and scared she really is. In many ways I have a new respect for her because she pushes through her terror of becoming a "has been" and keeps performing even during the lulls in her career, often kidding about the crappy places she has performed just to stay on stage. All that bravado masks a sensitive and worried core.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Todd,
    I watched her special on Showtime the other night and came away amazed at how very vulnerable and scared she really is. In many ways I have a new respect for her because she pushes through her terror of becoming a "has been" and keeps performing even during the lulls in her career, often kidding about the crappy places she has performed just to stay on stage. All that bravado masks a sensitive and worried core.
    Yes, Eileen, she's quite a beautiful person inside. Carson was such an asshole to her. To prove who was the better person, she wrote Carson a condolscense letter after the death of his son despite the fact he ignored her, blackballed her, and didn't give two shits when Edgar killed himself.

She raved about Ed McMahon when he died, though, saying he never saw Joan without telling her hello, even after the Tonight Show brouhaha.

I absolutely love Joan Rivers. I only hope to meet her one day before she passes to tell her how much joy and laughter she's brought to my life by being survivor and a vulnerable person never afraid of pushing the envelope.

"I had to cremate my mother-in-law and right away, she says, 'But I'm not dead yet.' Come on, Betty, get in the oven, you know how to do it, you're a Jew. (audience groans) OH! OH! That's two, Ms. Rivers. Wait until you hear three!" - Joan Rivers, Before Melissa Pulls the Plug

If you ever get a chance to read or listen to her book Still Talking, she talks about how her husband and his family actually escaped the Nazis. He was born in Germany and was a German until the Nazis began fucking with them. That and other things in his life lead to the demons that ultimately lead to his suicide, her firing from FOX and seperation from Joan being the breaking point. It's a beautifully written memoir that is mostly serious in tone with a few jokes here and there. She reads the audiobook herself, so she gets emotional at the right times because it's her grief that's pouring out.