Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance

Health Insurance

I have to pay $1,469 a month for the next 18 months until Medicare starts. Does anyone know a better alternative?

The Connecticut Health Reinsurance Association got me the policy from UnitedHealthcare.

Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    I have to pay $1,469 a month for the next 18 months until Medicare starts. Does anyone know a better alternative?

The Connecticut Health Reinsurance Association got me the policy from UnitedHealthcare.
    I would check into a $10,000 deductible policy with no pre-existing condition exclusions. I would guess that this will cost between $100-$500 per month. This will act as a catastrophic policy for the 18 months. You'll of course, be on the hook for the deductible and co-pays up to the out-of-pocket maximum which would probably be several thousand more than the $10,000 deductible.

oh wow thats a good chunk of change. Is that COBRA? In order to keep my benefits from work I had to go on COBRA. Which is expensive, but for the first year or maybe even up to 16 months you should be able to get a reduced rate. I was lucky to get a reduced rate and my 16 months just ended and I thought I had it bad paying 480 a month. If you are on COBRA I would look into trying to apply for the reduced rate.

Also I still don't understand Medicare. When my medicare kicks in should drop my COBRA to save money. Can one get by on just medicare does it cover enough of what we have to deal with for medicals supplies, procedures, prescriptions and etc.??? I'm lost as to what to do. What do people recommend?

Anthem Blue Cross rejected me for a $10k deductible policy.

What are the specs (deductibles, co-pays, ...) for your current policy?

When they (ConnReinsAssoc) issued your policy did they give you any choices for different policy specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    I would check into a $10,000 deductible policy with no pre-existing condition exclusions. I would guess that this will cost between $100-$500 per month.
    interesting... never heard of this.

What is your age? There are several programs in CT that you might be able to qualify into for insurance at a reduced cost.

PM me if you want with the answers.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I carrried COBRA through my job for 18 months after my family leave ended.
    After that Dave qualified for Medicaid and I struggled to find something for myself that was affordable.
    Got rejected by BCBS and finally found a high deductable that will not cover some pre exisiting conditions.
    Sorry you are going through this. There should be a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by warchi81 View Post
    Also I still don't understand Medicare. When my medicare kicks in should drop my COBRA to save money. Can one get by on just medicare does it cover enough of what we have to deal with for medicals supplies, procedures, prescriptions and etc.??? I'm lost as to what to do. What do people recommend?
    You will want to look into Medicare supplement policies to cover over and beyond what medicare will cover (In my opinion medicare alone doesn't meet all the needs of someone with a spinal cord injury). There are many and varied medigap policies offered. It will take some research and study to select the one that best suits your needs and pocketbook.

Here are some places to start your research.
    http://www.medicare.gov/medigap/default.asp
    http://www.medigapbuyersguide.com/
    http://www.medigap360.com/

Many states have a resource called "Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Programs" available through the state's department of aging or health and human services. These programs offer free seminars in the community and individual counseling services. These services are free and do not sell or endorse any insurance products. Contact you state's department of aging or senior services to find out about what is offered in your state.

All the best,
    GJ