Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: all inclusive accessible college life at urbana

all inclusive accessible college life at urbana

they have always been a standard for me when talking about how to get the disabled educated but also making sure their needs are taken care of as well. working to get rit to also have the same amenities so that disabled students can have choices on where they attend school and get them OUT from under their parents' wing! sharonD, noirin's mom, sarah's mom et all please look into this for your child's future!

http://chronicle.com/article/Disable...&utm_medium=en
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    there are many other colleges that offer similar and some with even better programs. champaign/ urbana is far from being a good accessible town to live in and the campus is spread far. the college has been getting a lot of scrutiny over graduates that aren't qualified upon graduating. it use to be an excellent school but has really lost it's status over the years.

Awww, that was thoughtful Crip. I am all ears...bring on the college info, want to hear your suggestions.

Blog Entries
    edinboro university near erie pennsylvania has a very progressive handicap program.definitely worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    there are many other colleges that offer similar and some with even better programs. champaign/ urbana is far from being a good accessible town to live in and the campus is spread far. the college has been getting a lot of scrutiny over graduates that aren't qualified upon graduating. it use to be an excellent school but has really lost it's status over the years.
    i like their sciences programs and visited and found it easy to take the bus to get around campus but that was my experience 5yrs ago.

i personally love RIT. it has many issues but from my department they have really done a lot to be supportive and it's small enough (tho ppl complain it's big which is hilarious. campus is about 1 mile in diameter) i rly just wanted to start a discussion that college life IS possible and some schools are doing some great things as far as access. please share which other schools have similar set ups! i know ppl want to hear about how that is handled as i too will be looking at schools again soon

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    Awww, that was thoughtful Crip. I am all ears...bring on the college info, want to hear your suggestions.
    i can def share my experiences with the universities i've attended (both private) and the field i'm in. i really hope that more schools implement this so that it takes the struggle out of attending college.

Blog Entries
    crypticgimp,
    edinboro offers 24 hour nursing and has a pt. program that uses handicap students to train with.they also have a full service wheelchair shop on campus.i think they have over 100 students in wheelchairs on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    crypticgimp,
    edinboro offers 24 hour nursing and has a pt. program that uses handicap students to train with.they also have a full service wheelchair shop on campus.i think they have over 100 students in wheelchairs on campus.
    Wow, thats amazing. So good to hear about these schools!

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    crypticgimp,
    yes now i remember hearing about this school. unfortunately it wasnt an option for my field but yea def have heard about this school

The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater has an excellent Students With Disabilities program as well. Just thought I would throw another option out there.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss