Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does drinking alcohol make neuropathic pain better or worse?

Does drinking alcohol make neuropathic pain better or worse?

There have been times that I wanted to attribute worsening central pain to drinking a few drinks. But I don't have any evidence. Conversely, I feel it helps often. Yes, I know that there are warnings about drinking with Lyrica and OxyIR and I would not operate heavy machinery if this were the case.

I don't know if it makes the next day's neuropathic pain worse. I just thought I would see what others around here think.

I think it could definitely increased nerve pain.

It took me a couple years to figure this out, but my nerve pain fluctuates directly with my level of hydration. If I drink at least 10 cups of water a day, my nerve pain gets hugely reduced.

Alcohol, and coffee, are both diuretics, so I could see how they would increase nerve pain for me.

Out of curiosity, how much water do you flush through your system in a day? Have you tried dramatically increasing your water levels for a couple days in a row to see if it affects nerve pain?

I should mention, if my nerve pain does get really bad, drinking a ton of water usually makes it worse before it gets better (this might last up to two days depending on how bad the nerve pain was).

I have to agree with the theory that it makes it worse. In my case, it seems to help initially with the whole relaxation mechanism, but the next day I pay like heck. I have recently began a new supplement for inflammation called Nopalea and certainly, I don't like to be a name dropper and advocate any one company's product, but this stuff does seem to having some benefit. Finding it especially useful with that horrible next day nerve pain and stiffness following a hard workout. At this point, I'd drink coal water if it would provide some relief!! "))

Quote Originally Posted by Klymir View Post
    I think it could definitely increased nerve pain.

I should mention, if my nerve pain does get really bad, drinking a ton of water usually makes it worse before it gets better (this might last up to two days depending on how bad the nerve pain was).
    Thanks, Klymir. I'll try your H2O remedy.

Clean, well distilled ethanol such as smirnoff vodka absolutely and powerfully drops neuropathic pain into the lightest whisper----dose dependent of course.

Not a sustainable thing day after day after day , as we all know.

Still when things get tough its better than Vidodin and less harmful overall.

Hi arndog
    A ice cold beer sometimes takes off the edge

Quote Originally Posted by Patty41 View Post
    Thanks, Klymir. I'll try your H2O remedy.
    Great. Let me know if you notice a lift.

My experience is that beer is helping. But with the morphin patch I get sick from beer, but before when I did not use any strong medication, beer did help.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    Hi arndog
    A ice cold beer sometimes takes off the edge
    here,here! I drink about a six pack a day to help block my pain out but then I stop around 6:00pm and switch to water. I drink about a gallon a day. I stay away from all sodas and coffee.

I'm not a beer drinker, but a glass of wine takes the edge off sometimes...or maybe I just don't mind as much.