Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Dutch Oven for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Love 15 bean soup.
    Please tell me the names of the 15 beans ! ! ! This would be good cocktail party knowledge.
    black bean
    red beans
    Dark and Light Red kidney beans
    navy beans
    great northern beans
    Large and Baby lima beans
    pinto beans
    Green and Yellow split peas
    black-eyed peas

Various forms of lentil
    • Red Chief
    • Eston
    • Pardina
    • Crimson
    Cranberry beans (shell beans)
    chick peas (garbanzo beans)
    Small white bean
    Pink Bean

I had to look it up Arndog-would be a good triva. This was the best batch I've ever made.

I was watching "The Barefoot Contessa" on Food Network this morning and Ina was making 40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken. She recommended using a good dutch oven to make it. If you check their website, the recipe should be posted.
    Kimber in SoCal
    Wife to Tom, T12 incomplete since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Love 15 bean soup.
    Please tell me the names of the 15 beans ! ! ! This would be good cocktail party knowledge.
    My mother used to make a 15 bean soup mix at Christmas to give to friends. She would buy bags of dried beans and lentils and peas, and we would mix them together, put the appropriate amount in jars, attach a recipe. You don't have to buy all the dried beans, lentils and peas separately. Most grocery stores sell a one pound bag of the mixed beans that include a flavor packet. All the beans are mixed together for you. It is a lot easy and more convenient than having 15 pounds of assorted dried legumes around. I haven't used the flavor packet, so I don't know how it tastes.

All the best,
    NL (GJ's wife)

I just bought the store brand of 15 bean mix. I really wanted navy beans but they were out. Everyone must have been making ham bean soup.
    It turned out awesome I must say.

How do you actually make bean soup? I would like to make a no meat version bean soup. Can anyone tell me how to do it, what spices I would need? Any vegetables? I'm an idiot in the kitchen basically and have to follow a recipe step by step. thank you.

nothing too spicey, i have a bad esophagus

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    How do you actually make bean soup? I would like to make a no meat version bean soup. Can anyone tell me how to do it, what spices I would need? Any vegetables? I'm an idiot in the kitchen basically and have to follow a recipe step by step. thank you.

nothing too spicey, i have a bad esophagus
    Hi "Marycsm,"
    A commercial manufacture, Hurst, markets a 1 pound bag of the 15 bean soup with a flavor packet and calls it Vegetarian 15 Bean Soup. The recipe is easy, find it here: (This product can be found in most supermarkets in the dried bean section.)
    http://www.hurstbeans.com/recipes/28...ean-soup%C2%AE

Otherwise, search the internet for Vegetarian 15 (or 13) bean soup for other tasty variations.

NL (GJ's wife)

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hi "Marycsm,"
    A commercial manufacture, Hurst, markets a 1 pound bag of the 15 bean soup with a flavor packet and calls it Vegetarian 15 Bean Soup. The recipe is easy, find it here: (This product can be found in most supermarkets in the dried bean section.)
    http://www.hurstbeans.com/recipes/28...ean-soup%C2%AE

Otherwise, search the internet for Vegetarian 15 (or 13) bean soup for other tasty variations.

NL (GJ's wife)
    Thank you NL I just looked at it and looks pretty easy!, that would be for me. thanks for going to the trouble.

mary

Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    (My daughter didn't know that a dutch oven was a cooking tool - of course she knew the version of dutch oven that involves holding bed covers over someones head....)
    i knew it was a cooking tool, but i must admit that somewhere in the depths of my brain, bevis and butthead's voices went "dutch oven.... heh heh heh"
    mitochondrial disease complex 1 deficiency, suspected HSP
    type 3 ehlers danlos syndrome w/ type 1 overlap, g and j tubes
    aspergers & friends
    survivor of 2 TIA strokes

Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    I mentioned getting a dutch oven to my wife and I got one on Christmas. I was inspired by a black beef recipe I saw in the NY Times.
    My mom used to use one all the time - she made incredible pot roast with it (red cabbage was a mandatory side).

Any recipe suggestions?

(My daughter didn't know that a dutch oven was a cooking tool - of course she knew the version of dutch oven that involves holding bed covers over someones head....)

- just checked clipping on mu Kindle - the dish was a Venezuelan dish called "asad negro"
    Garvey - Go to America's Test Kitchen and do a search on "Almost No Knead Bread". You may have to purchase a membership for this recipe but google it and someone has it posted. I have tried forever to make crusty bread. With this recipe you cook the bread in the dutch oven and the steam makes it consistently crusty. You can try it with your favorite bread recipes also. Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees then put your dutch oven in for 30 minutes with the cover on. After 30 minutes turn the oven down to 425 and put the bread dough in the dutch oven (dough on parchment paper) and put the cover on. After 25 minutes take the cover off and bake until the bread reaches 210 degrees or approx another 20 minutes. I have a LeCruset dutch oven and had to replace the cover handle since it could not be heated past 325 (Handle would possibly explode no kidding....I've seen the new handles can handle up to 475).

America's Test Kitchen has a recipe for baking a whole chicken in the dutch oven and it was one of the best chicken dishes I have ever eaten. (French Chicken in a Pot).

Quote Originally Posted by spasticXfantastic View Post
    i knew it was a cooking tool, but i must admit that somewhere in the depths of my brain, bevis and butthead's voices went "dutch oven.... heh heh heh"
    like when someone asked about the origin?

under the covers!
    An administrator made me remove my signature.