Thread: Desk chair cushion

Desk chair cushion

I sit in a desk chair at my office and I need a cushion for it. I'm not at high risk for pressure sores but lately I have been feeling pretty uncomfy while seated (including in my wheelchair, but that is a subject for another post). I'm considering a Roho LTV or Roho Mosaic.

Does anyone have experience with either of these? Or any other suggestions for relatively basic desk-chair cushioning?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynahmite View Post
    I sit in a desk chair at my office and I need a cushion for it. I'm not at high risk for pressure sores but lately I have been feeling pretty uncomfy while seated (including in my wheelchair, but that is a subject for another post). I'm considering a Roho LTV or Roho Mosaic.

Does anyone have experience with either of these? Or any other suggestions for relatively basic desk-chair cushioning?
    Your profile doesn't give us any information about your level of injury or the type of chair you use so it is hard to make any pertinent comments.

For your discomfort in your wheelchair and in the desk chair, it may be a good idea to get pressure mapping from an occupational or physical therapist who specializes in seating and positioning.

Why do you use a desk chair instead of your wheelchair? If it is a matter of not fitting under the desk, you can always raise the desk. If you get the wheelchair set up properly, you may be more comfortable, have better support and protection, and better posture than in a desk chair.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-21-2013 at 09:17 PM.

I have Friedreich's Ataxia, not an SCI. It's a progressive neurological condition that impairs my proprioception and coordination. I have mostly normal sensation. I find the desk chair more comfortable for long periods as I can move around in the seat more, lean back with head & shoulders supported, etc. (I do occasionally use my wc at my desk when I want a change).

Pressure mapping is a good suggestion, especially since this is the first time in 6-ish years of wc use that I've had this issue (the issue being, feeling like I need more cushiony cushioning).

Quote Originally Posted by Dynahmite View Post
    I have Friedreich's Ataxia, not an SCI. It's a progressive neurological condition that impairs my proprioception and coordination. I have mostly normal sensation. I find the desk chair more comfortable for long periods as I can move around in the seat more, lean back with head & shoulders supported, etc. (I do occasionally use my wc at my desk when I want a change).

Pressure mapping is a good suggestion, especially since this is the first time in 6-ish years of wc use that I've had this issue (the issue being, feeling like I need more cushiony cushioning).
    I think it is worth seeking out pressure mapping and a positioning expert before you make an expensive cushion purchase that may not be right for you.

All the best,
    Gj

I am an incomplete L1 paraplegic with a great deal of neuropathic pain from sitting, and basically everything else I do. I have significant butt asymmetry with no gluteus on one side with risk of ischial ulcer. I use a giant heavy 4 inch Roho that is 16*18 inches to fill up the office chair seat. I need a step to put my feet on since my short legs won't reach the floor. I love the huge Roho, for static seated desk work. I hope this helps.

roho mosaic, use one on my chair, my desk chair and while driving, did the pressure maping and it maped better then any cushion in the sitting clinic.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

D, roho wil nor work for FA as it's too unstable. Try a memory foam cushion as they can actually work in your favour when it comes to function

Thanks for the suggestions all. amyk, I have successfully used (and enjoyed) a Roho in the past, but that's a good point to think about how it will work with my current & future balance/trunk stability.

Have you seen those memory foam cushions that they advertise on TV every now and then? I can't think of the brand name of them. But, I use one for my desk chair, and it works wonders. It's available at Bed Bath & Beyond.
    Samantha