Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TiLite on titanium...

TiLite on titanium...

TiLite has made a statement re: titanium in their latest news letter:

Quote Originally Posted by Eye on Ti email newsletter excerpt
    For those who prefer titanium, at TiLite that choice will always be available so that you may continue to experience the same ride, durability, and comfort to which you have grown accustomed.
    Medicare has had a zero titanium policy for ever, as far as what they will help pay for, and private insurance has not adopted it, yet. Hopefully other makers getting out of titanium won't matter.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    TiLite has made a statement re: titanium in their latest news letter:

Medicare has had a zero titanium policy for ever, as far as what they will help pay for, and private insurance has not adopted it, yet. Hopefully other makers getting out of titanium won't matter.
    TiLite's "Choice Matters" campaign would be more credible if they offered ALL of their models in either titanium or aluminum. In fact, it's disingenuous. For example, the customer desiring a ZR cannot order one in aluminum, only in titanium. Thus, the choice of models is dictated by TiLite, not the customer.

I tend to agree Stephen, in that as one that uses a TiLite TR, there is no aluminum version offered from TiLite. While yes, TiLite does offer chairs in both materials, if one is forced to aluminum via their payment method, their choices of a "custom" chair shrink.

When I read the Newsletter, it is clear this is in response to other manufacturers bailing on Titanium.
    Last edited by Brianm; 01-03-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    TiLite's "Choice Matters" campaign would be more credible if they offered ALL of their models in either titanium or aluminum. In fact, it's disingenuous. For example, the customer desiring a ZR cannot order one in aluminum, only in titanium. Thus, the choice of models is dictated by TiLite, not the customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I tend to agree Stephen, in that as one that uses a TiLite TR, there is no aluminum version offered from TiLite. While yes, TiLite does offer chairs in both materials, if one is forced to aluminum via their payment method, their choices of a "custom" chair shrink.

When I read the Newsletter, it is clear this is in response to other manufacturers bailing on Titanium.
    I agree, too.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Exclamation

And so long as your choice doesnt involve wanting the best casters and forks on your 'best' chair. And I guess if by 'choice' and 'custom made' they mean 'choose from our limited selection' and 'built like every other one' I think they make great points in their marketing. Otherwise, it's just typical marketing.

Glad to hear they are sticking to the Ti material, at least the option isn't going away from the entire market.

Would love a genuinely custom made titanium chair, but in their quest for manufacturing nirvana it seems their 'custom made' process has turned into litle more than an assembly line, which then generates significant costs to deviate from their norm.

A perfect example of this is the side guard profiling. They can create whatever process they want to fabricate their parts and those chose a process that does not effectively allow for 'the best' possible fit or finish for the customer,
    without generating substantial extra cost. In a recent comment on this topic TiLite, the CC member, posted that with all the different stf heights and tire/wheel size combinations that stocking more than 2 sizes of side guard is impractical, business-wise.

Why even engineer a process that limits choice on an option they full well know should be different for every chair, for 'the best' fit?!?

Glad to hear they are sticking to the Ti material, at least the option isn't going away from the entire market.
    Somehow, I just don't think something like this would fly with their customer base...

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post

I think an aluminum TR could be a nice alternative! An aluminum ZR would be really nice, if it were a less expensive option and K0005 coded.

I think an aluminum TR could be a nice alternative! An aluminum ZR would be really nice, if it were a less expensive option and K0005 coded.
    Certainly they've considered this. . . and rejected it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Somehow, I just don't think something like this would fly with their customer base...
    The company name does present a longevity quandary and the company may wind up having to reinvent themselves sooner than later. If they were to offer an Al option for each model (7000 series, of course, to keep up with the competition), they would be competing with themselves. (The Series 2 chairs were launched largely, I think, as a response to the new lighter weight 7000 series chairs from Quickie and soon from Top End.) The Al versions of TiLite's line would likely outsell the Ti versions based on lower consumer cost and greater reimbursement. They have some thinking to do.

I agree.

If they were to offer an Al option for each model (7000 series, of course, to keep up with the competition),.
    A 7046 for example for be better than the competition