Thread: Time of recovery

Time of recovery

Hello everyone,

I have been reading this site for a while now however this is my first post. I must say this is the best info one can receive on info concerning their injury. I have been diagnosed with TM and Lupus since Aug.16,2010. My question is what is the length of time you or anyone you know have been paralyzed then regained some movement and/or feeling. I am currently T-12 complete injury. I spent 4 weeks at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Ga. Most of what I read says if you don't get it in the first 6 months you are pretty much out of luck. Is this true or is there someone out there that has recovered from paralysis after this time period.

Thanks,

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I'm not the best person to answer your question, as I have MS, but several people here have TM and know a great deal about it. In general, I don't think the amount of recovery a person can have with any SCI (traumatic or non-traumatic) is written in stone, or that timetables are anything other than sets of percentages - but I'll be interested to hear what others have to say. I'm sure that you'll continue to find lots of good information here, and again welcome to CC.

MNicholsen, welcome and hope you get some return. Have had lupus for 32 yrs, and surgeries that culmonated in a screwed up surgery 3 yrs ago, cauda equina. You can get recovery, they say up to 2 yr after, but they're looking a farther and farther out as of late. Good luck, don't give up.

Just out of curiosity, did you have any of that new-fangled plasmapheresis or IvIg therapy?

Back in 1985 (12yrs old), they used to say if you developed spasms within the first year, it was an indicator of possible improvement.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Yes, I had the IVIG and plasmapheresis. I do not currently get any leg spasms. Thank you all so much for the feedback.