Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: worker's comp settlement

annuities vs lump sum

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    annuities are great, big settlement will leave you paying taxes on interest it makes, unless you spend it all like some. definitely seek financial advisor and plan ahead
    Out of curiosity, I thought a benefit of a lump sum is that you can earn interest. If I kick the bucket the annuity is gone and I wouldn't be able to leave anything for my family.

Speaking of financial matters, do any of you have wills? Not to be morbid, but I was wondering if any of you have used legal zoom? An online source for creating legal documents.

Thanks!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by hcho72 View Post
    Out of curiosity, I thought a benefit of a lump sum is that you can earn interest. If I kick the bucket the annuity is gone and I wouldn't be able to leave anything for my family.

Speaking of financial matters, do any of you have wills? Not to be morbid, but I was wondering if any of you have used legal zoom? An online source for creating legal documents.

Thanks!
    annuities have beneficiaries just like a bank account, a good annuity can pay much better than investments pay out, they are many different options for them. interest on investments sucks and have remained that way for a few years now, prolly not gonna change anytime soon.
    a will can be made up with a lawyer, i paid $500 and know everything is in order. my brother and his wife did an online one and he went to lawyer anyway after the fact, online was a waste.

This is at a bit of a tangent, but I thought it may be useful / relevant, that if you pick a doctor who is in network with your insurance company, then it will usually mean lower healthcare costs. We've done some research recently about the work comp network system. It's from a doctor's perspective, but may still be useful: https://workers-compensation-doctors...g-for-doctors/