Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recovery L1 incomplete post 1 year

Quote Originally Posted by RJP View Post
    I too am a L1 burst fracture with no recovery in bb can get an erection but cant finish, its great for the female but no so much for me
    We share the same level of sexual function, although I can finish but it takes a long time..as you said, woman loves it. But, erections were sometimes problematic...but
    I highly recommmend testosterone replacement therapy if you are low..it immediately gave me the full bidness..rockhard (no feeling except at the base) and feel much better during the day.
    I am a very incomplete L4 SCI from a .38 slug in an attempted gas station robbbery/homicide 1976.
    '76 L4 GSW incomplete
    (cauda equina)

Hey dinah Im a 27yo army guy just injured 3/16/2012 overseas....L1 burst fracture....just got married 6 days ago...needless to say Im scared to death. Of course my wife tells me everyday i will get feeling and movement back in my legs....i have gotten little feeling back in my left leg but i pray everyday for more...please email me at inkme20@yahoo.com so me and my wife can question you and your husband about this stuff it would be sooo appreciated!!

Hey MP, Welcome Home Brother. Glad you made it but sorry you came home injured. Congrats on just getting married.

If you want to contact Dinah, I suggest you click on her name in her post and there should be a button to e-mail her. I don't think she comes here anymore.

Lots of info here. Lots of vets. Good luck, work hard to maximize your potential. I'm sure you'll hear from a lot more here. Stay strong, it will get better. US Army(66-68)

Quote Originally Posted by mpmikevail View Post
    Hey dinah Im a 27yo army guy just injured 3/16/2012 overseas....L1 burst fracture....just got married 6 days ago...needless to say Im scared to death. Of course my wife tells me everyday i will get feeling and movement back in my legs....i have gotten little feeling back in my left leg but i pray everyday for more...please email me at XXXXXXXX so me and my wife can question you and your husband about this stuff it would be sooo appreciated!!
    Strongly advise you to NOT post your personal e-mail address on a public forum like this!! Members can PM you, or send you a e-mail if you turn that feature on in your profile. Please remove your address (or ask a Moderator to do that for you).

Where are you currently in rehab? I assume you are at a VA SCI Center still at this point? Have you joined the PVA yet? We also have a Veterans forum here, and also a Sexuality forum. Please feel free to post at both places.

(KLD)

L1 as well. 80 percent spinal compression, 14.5 months post. Workout all the time, and it helps for sure. Can walk about 100 feet at a time with arm crutches.
    Day at a time.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

[QUOTE=dinah;1301221]Hi there,
    I just wanted to check in again after my husband (boyfriend at that time) fell off a horse and had a burst fracture of L1.
    He was always able to walk but had weak calf and ankle muscles as he had damaged the S1 and L5 nerves and had B&B problems.
    Cauda Equina syndrome. During the rehab period he tried a lot of things like Kryotherapy (being frozen in a chamber for 3 min), Acupuncture, Physiotherapy, Pilates, Magnetic resonance...Trying things out really helped to keep our spirits up.
    He started to urinate again 2 months after the injury and has urinated ever since. He still suffers a little from urgency.
    Also he still has some bowel problems that cause him constipation. After the injury he could get an erection but was not able to ejaculate- he regained this function 4 month after the accident. He has still not recovered full strength in his legs - but we are keeping very positive. He is going to walk 250kms through the atacama desert for a spinal cord research charity. This accident opened up or eyes and we are so incredibly grateful with where we are and what he is being left.
    This site has been amazing and I just wanted to send out a positive recovery story. Happy xmas and good new year with a speedy recovery!![/

that is great i also have L1 incomplete burst fracture i can walk no problem like an ab but have to use catheter, i can ejaculate and get an erection as well my right calf is a bit weak but nobody would notice it

Post checking in

[QUOTE=dom;1516964]
    Quote Originally Posted by dinah View Post
    Hi there,
    I just wanted to check in again after my husband (boyfriend at that time) fell off a horse and had a burst fracture of L1.
    He was always able to walk but had weak calf and ankle muscles as he had damaged the S1 and L5 nerves and had B&B problems.
    Cauda Equina syndrome. During the rehab period he tried a lot of things like Kryotherapy (being frozen in a chamber for 3 min), Acupuncture, Physiotherapy, Pilates, Magnetic resonance...Trying things out really helped to keep our spirits up.
    He started to urinate again 2 months after the injury and has urinated ever since. He still suffers a little from urgency.
    Also he still has some bowel problems that cause him constipation. After the injury he could get an erection but was not able to ejaculate- he regained this function 4 month after the accident. He has still not recovered full strength in his legs - but we are keeping very positive. He is going to walk 250kms through the atacama desert for a spinal cord research charity. This accident opened up or eyes and we are so incredibly grateful with where we are and what he is being left.
    This site has been amazing and I just wanted to send out a positive recovery story. Happy xmas and good new year with a speedy recovery!![/

that is great i also have L1 incomplete burst fracture i can walk no problem like an ab but have to use catheter, i can ejaculate and get an erection as well my right calf is a bit weak but nobody would notice it
    Dear dom
    I am glad you have been able to use the resources from this site. If you need more references, please check out the Consortiuum for Spinal Cord Medicine consumer guides at this website: http://www.scicpg.org/cpg_cons.htm#BWL

pbr

I want to add some positive recovery vibes to this thread. I've spent a lot of time scouring the internet for positive outcomes since injured and was crestfallen to find not many at all. I promised myself that I would come back and post if things got better. Well, they have.

Suffered burst L2 (plus T6 T10 compression, 5 broken ribs, collapsed lung, leaky spleen) in motorcycle accident January 30, 2016. Surgeon said cord 75% crushed. 360 fusion to stabilize. Never lost ability to walk. Actually feel pretty strong in the motor department. Symptoms mostly sensation loss, tingling, saddle anaesthesia, some loss of sensation in right foot (outside thigh, heel, last three toes) neurogenic bladder (LMN) and bowel. Low sensation sexual function. It works, just not as well as it used to. CIC catheterization and bathroom discipline helped with B&B. Chronic constipation is my primary bowel issue. All in all it could have been much, much worse. Every step is a blessing.

Doc advised me to give recovery two years. With no improvement I would probably need to CIC for the rest of my life. Did bladder dynamics test and had a big fat zero on one aspect (sphincter relaxation? can't recall). For all this time I just had no urge or ability to void on my own at all. I would try to go on my own every once in a while, just to check. Zip. Nada. After one year I had pretty much accepted that this would be my life sentence.

About 4 month's ago I started thinking that I was feeling some urge here and there. But - and I'm sure a lot of you know what I'm talking about - I had learned not to trust these feelings because they never panned out. I'd CIC when I felt the urge. Sometimes with hardly any production at all. Nevertheless, they continued until, about a month ago, when they became really strong. My routine has always been to get out of bed and head to my desk to check email, etc. I had been able to sit there as long as I felt like it until I consciously decided to hit the head. Well, not anymore. I found myself squirming within about 30 minutes. Still I would just take that as a signal to get a the catheter.

Early last week, after running to the bathroom and prepping the tube, I decided to just give it a "shot". HOLY CRAP! WTF? I shot pee all over the place. (Out of practice LOL). Couldn't believe it. Strong stream, too. Didn't last too long. Still used the tube, after, and I was retaining a pretty good amount of urine.

But since then it has just gotten a little bit better every day. I am usually able to go when I feel the urge. I have been following up with the tube and I'm not retaining much, if any, now. It is a little weird because my ability seems to diminish as the day goes on. Early in the day, I'm voiding completely. Late at night I have to use the tube.

I just hope it continues to improve. It's wonderful to have this little bit of normalcy return. It is now 522 days and counting.

So, recovery does occur. i don't know how far it will come back or if this is even permanent. But I'll take it. Best of luck to everyone.