Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recovery L1 incomplete post 1 year

recovery L1 incomplete post 1 year

Hi there,
    I just wanted to check in again after my husband (boyfriend at that time) fell off a horse and had a burst fracture of L1.
    He was always able to walk but had weak calf and ankle muscles as he had damaged the S1 and L5 nerves and had B&B problems.
    Cauda Equina syndrome. During the rehab period he tried a lot of things like Kryotherapy (being frozen in a chamber for 3 min), Acupuncture, Physiotherapy, Pilates, Magnetic resonance...Trying things out really helped to keep our spirits up.
    He started to urinate again 2 months after the injury and has urinated ever since. He still suffers a little from urgency.
    Also he still has some bowel problems that cause him constipation. After the injury he could get an erection but was not able to ejaculate- he regained this function 4 month after the accident. He has still not recovered full strength in his legs - but we are keeping very positive. He is going to walk 250kms through the atacama desert for a spinal cord research charity. This accident opened up or eyes and we are so incredibly grateful with where we are and what he is being left.
    This site has been amazing and I just wanted to send out a positive recovery story. Happy xmas and good new year with a speedy recovery!!
    Last edited by dinah; 12-29-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Sounds like your husband has had a great deal of recovery! That's wonderful. Happy new year to both of you!

Very nice to hear about the recovery of ur husbans.

I am also L1 patient but got no recovery in BB and sexual function in last 11 years.

I too am a L1 burst fracture with no recovery in bb can get an erection but cant finish, its great for the female but no so much for me
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

L1 burst here as well as result of airplane accident. A big ZERO in recovery for me 5 years post!! Grateful to be alive!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

I also have a L1 Burst Fracture from accident on 11-5-10/ I am still in outpatient therapy seeing my neuro Feb 5. I had tso right after the surgery and now have smaller back brace. I am walking very well with a walker trying to walk around the house just trying to get my balance back. I have neuropothy pretty bad especially in my feet. I don't seem to hve much problem with urination, but I have some bowel issues thank goodness for stool softeners++ I am trying to stay positive, but I am scared, this site provides my sanity and I love to hear all the wonderful stories.
    My son in law was driving the 4x4 trk I ws injured in and the next day he went and sold the trk back to the dealership it was brand new, he could not stand to look at it.
    If any od you have any advise. or want to share with me I would like that..
    Dinah--yes your positive recovery story touched my heart I pray mine will be the same
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Sounds like you are recovering nicely, It is a long road but hand in there and don't give up. There is medication that can help the neuropathy.
    CWO

JEAPOW, I also had an L1 burst fracture, and as much of a problem as the impaired mobility has been, the effect of the neuropathy has been worse. SCI-Nurse is right about neuropathy meds--they can can help (though talking about one versus the other can set off a firestorm of opinions on these boards).
    The advice I can offer, other than finding out about neuropathy meds, is to find a good personal trainer. Doctors say you get most of your recovery in the first 6 months, and continue to improve for up to 2 years. However, my own experience has been working with a knowledgeable and patient but persistent trainer and then YOU following up with regular work outs can stretch the improvement period out longer. I still need canes (not to panic--sounds like I started off worse than you--I was in a TSLO for 7 months), but today someone who had not seen me for 3 months said I walking noticeably steadier and more upright. Training is no guarantee (as people say, YMMV--your mileage may vary), but is certainly worth trying. Keep pounding away at your disability with a trainer even after the insurance quits paying for PT. Best wishes.
    L1 burst fracture, ASIA B L3 incomplete...
    Describes me but does not define me.

damn.. i want a functional right hand god damnit
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Thanks for advise don't understand the last post though?? It has been 3 months and I see my neuro this Fri. Maybe I can get a few answers I have a list of questions, lat month I was just happy to get my shell off. I do know the importance of exercise, I have a recumbent bike here at home and just started at PTusing the treadmill,I have been fortunate to have a good friend who owns her own PT buisness she is giving me a big break because I am self pay and will need PT for at least 6 more months.. I also had a blood clot hit my lung so I had a surgery the next week after my back surgery to have a greenfield filter put in. I am still thankful even though I know it is a long hard road ahead at least I am on the road right? And yes I am on some meds still too early to tell I think.....
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often