Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Starting to feel the years

Starting to feel the years

When I finished my after-breakfast coffee this morning, I glanced at the clock and it was already 8:30. Not long ago, it would have been 8 a.m. when I finished. I get up at the same time but everything seems to take longer…dressing, washing up and shaving, fixing breakfast and even eating. It’s as if I am starting to run in slow motion. That’s not all. In the afternoon thoughts of crawling into bed and taking a nap are starting to cross my mind. When I start to think of a bed as something to rest on, you know I have a problem. Lol Even the cool weather is affecting me in ways I never expected. Wearing heavier clothes is noticeably tapping my energy. Wheeling around the supermarket used to be good exercise and cultural education and now it is a chore. At the end of the day, I am wondering if someone swapped out my Energizer battery for one of them cheap Rayovacs. Worst of all, in some of my more thoughtful moments, I am beginning to feel vulnerable. I wonder if I am going to have both the mental and physical stamina to beat the next crisis. Fighting our deplorable health care system and coping with body defects simultaneously may be the challenge that causes me to throw in the towel. I know my problems are minuscule compared to the pain, UTIs, pressure sores and other calamities many of you are having to cope with out there. However, I have found that if you carry just a light load long enough, it can start to wear you down.

Oh well, this mood gives me a good excuse to dig into the box of Rebecca Ruth’s bittersweet dark chocolate covered genuine Kentucky bourbon balls I got for Christmas. If that does not resurrect my positive thinking, nothing will. lol

To end on a positive note, I did hang up a 2011 calendar yesterday and have every intention of getting through all of the pages. I hope you all will hang in there with me.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I hear ya SCI. I told my wife just this morning that half the day was gone and I still haven't shaved. Was 8:00am. We've beat the odds that the docs said our lifespan would be. Dang, I'm sure many of them have beat us to the grave. I trust those that have been mentored by guys like you will carry the lessons on to the next generation.

Glad you are still here buddy. Stay strong, as I know you will.

Blog Entries
    The only thing worse than growing old is not growing. I am also starting to slow down a bit. I guess that's just the way life is. Hang in there.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Blog Entries

You deserve a medal, and nap or two

At my 8.5 yrs post I feel like I've aged in dog years, I can't imagine as long as you have.
    If you have even a fraction of the hell pain I go thru daily you earn my respect for a nobel prize.
    Good luck and God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    To end on a positive note, I did hang up a 2011 calendar yesterday and have every intention of getting through all of the pages. I hope you all will hang in there with me.
    Of course, we both have balls to look forward to.

SCIfor55yrs, hang in there. My shoulders remind me every morning that too few muscles are doing too much work. And I have care aides doing my entire routine; you've been doing that solo for all these years. As Patrick said, you're a great mentor

Aging With SCI

55, et al: I too am feeling the SCI wear and tear on this aging bag of bones. However, I strive each day to accomplish a goal such as leaving the house for a downtown coffee shop and engaging other old farts in conversation. I continue my wood carving and scroll sawing hobbies and spend one evening a week with other carvers. Now that I am discharged from therapy for shoulder surgery I will resume volunteering at the VA hospital.

I'm 73 and figure it's natural to slow down. And. with the inconveniences posed by SCI, I can't complain, much that is.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Wondering how much longer I can hold on has been on my mind so much lately. I'm just so exhausted. Mentally and physically. I have to be here for the next 5 years because my daughter is only 13. When she is 18 and on her own, I honestly don't think I'll be here much longer. I'm only 40, but I've been paralyzed for 32 years.

I am tired too. The bad thing is that nobody really care, not even my children. My small one, he care. But I am feeling bad every winter, to stay inside and nobody visits me, make me depressed.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    I am tired too. The bad thing is that nobody really care, not even my children. My small one, he care. But I am feeling bad every winter, to stay inside and nobody visits me, make me depressed.
    Staying inside is a prescription for disaster. I spent the first three weeks of December inside and really felt the depression that isolation brings. And I have care workers showing up three times a day. I can only imagine the isolation that someone fully independent puts up with.

I was going to start getting active again starting today. But I took the day off. I'll try again tomorrow!