Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locomotion (Not Locomotor) training

Blog Entries
    willy,

you have my vote.whatever you want to run for you have my vote.

thank you for the effort you put into helping.

Here is a good article looking at various forms of gait/locomotion training.

Phys Ther. 2011 Jan;91(1):48-60. Epub 2010 Nov 4.

Influence of a locomotor training approach on walking speed and distance in people with chronic spinal cord injury: a randomized clinical trial.
    Field-Fote EC, Roach KE.

Department of Physical Therapy, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA. edee@miami.edu

Comment in:

Phys Ther. 2011 Jan;91(1):60-2; author reply 62.

Abstract
    BACKGROUND: Impaired walking limits function after spinal cord injury (SCI), but training-related improvements are possible even in people with chronic motor incomplete SCI.

OBJECTIVE: The objective of this study was to compare changes in walking speed and distance associated with 4 locomotor training approaches.

DESIGN: This study was a single-blind, randomized clinical trial.

SETTING: This study was conducted in a rehabilitation research laboratory.

PARTICIPANTS: Participants were people with minimal walking function due to chronic SCI.

INTERVENTION: Participants (n=74) trained 5 days per week for 12 weeks with the following approaches: treadmill-based training with manual assistance (TM), treadmill-based training with stimulation (TS), overground training with stimulation (OG), and treadmill-based training with robotic assistance (LR).

MEASUREMENTS: Overground walking speed and distance were the primary outcome measures.

RESULTS: In participants who completed the training (n=64), there were overall effects for speed (effect size index [d]=0.33) and distance (d=0.35). For speed, there were no significant between-group differences; however, distance gains were greatest with OG. Effect sizes for speed and distance were largest with OG (d=0.43 and d=0.40, respectively). Effect sizes for speed were the same for TM and TS (d=0.28); there was no effect for LR. The effect size for distance was greater with TS (d=0.16) than with TM or LR, for which there was no effect. Ten participants who improved with training were retested at least 6 months after training; walking speed at this time was slower than that at the conclusion of training but remained faster than before training.

LIMITATIONS: It is unknown whether the training dosage and the emphasis on training speed were optimal. Robotic training that requires active participation would likely yield different results.

CONCLUSIONS: In people with chronic motor incomplete SCI, walking speed improved with both overground training and treadmill-based training; however, walking distance improved to a greater extent with overground training.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21051593
    “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

Wild Willy Thanks for great input and article..Seems like ambulating yourself overground is the best medicine. Nonetheless, I am 2 yrs post op I can ambulate with walker 750-1000 ft Max. I use my tone. Recently done handwalk about 100 ft.

According to NRN therapist the biggest gains realized were ASIA Cs improving to ASIA Ds. I am currently an ASIA D from and ASIA C post op.

So in short it seems like you gotta just MOVE?
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!