Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Catheter not draining into bag!

Help! Catheter not draining into bag!

My SP catheter has a tube attached that runs down my leg into my leg bag. The issue is that where the tube connects to the bag it wont drain into the bag. Its almost as if there were some kind of suction/vacumm that is keeping it from draining. Like when you hold water in a straw by placing your finger over the top of the straws hole.

Anyone experience this? Please offer advice.

Thanks.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

ummm... is the SP tube blocked from sediment build up? Do you have an UTI causing sediiment? When was the last time you changed it? You sound try flushing the bladder through the SP to try and get flow again! Know from experience!

A little, no UTI, changed last week(Thur), tried flushing with no problems.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

i think "legbag" tubes get twisted or just an unknown suction malfunction sometimes from my experience.

When I had a supra pubic catheter, I would blow air into the bag bag before I used it and then let it out to make sure the "flutter" (check) valve was not stuck. Others may have better ideas.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Once in a while it seems like the bag sticks together on the top, especially if it was not hung to dry right.
    Sometimes if I open the drain it will unseal.

I had trouble with a Urocare leg bag. These bags have a "little red valve" instead of the flutter device in many bags. That valve can "seal" closed for no known reason (even if never used, right out of the package). I break off the fuzzy end of a Q-tip and use the stick to poke down the top connector to unstick the valve. I've used Millard's technique of blowing into the bag through the top connector. When I use this technique, I put a tissue over the connector before I blow into the bag (especially if the bag has been used and just more hygienic if the bag is new). It is possible that a manufacturer defect occurred and the open end of the flutter valve is not open. If you find that you have a defective bag, either call your supplier for a replacement or if they aren't helpful, contact the leg bag company for a replacement. I've had good luck with getting replacements from the manufacturer.

All the best,
    GJ

Ditto what Linda said. Pull the bag apart as much as you can at the top where the tube enters the bag. Or, take the bag off, drain some water into it and put it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Once in a while it seems like the bag sticks together on the top, especially if it was not hung to dry right.
    Sometimes if I open the drain it will unseal.
    exact same thing happens to mine.

Soooo, it's not a bag issue. This is crazy. Still happening everyday. Leaking out penis, using condom caths to try and contain but they only work 50% of the time.

Is it possible my new medication (Levicare, 10mg) that I'm taking for an over active bladder is causing this? Is this medicine capable of shutting down my bladder? My urologist prescribed it to reduce the AD symptoms causing me to constantly sweat.

I'm not scheduled for an exam until the 11th and have major concerns of a wound being created and possibly stroking out from the AD. Reasonable concerns?

Please help.

My Myspace