Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schmicking patent

It reminded me the old caster wheels I was using 20 years ago, I just found one in my storage, 6x1.25 and on the tire the max was 36 PSI: this one is 85 PSI ! This could make a big change in terms of less rolling resistance.
    Last edited by Big; 01-09-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    It reminded me the old caster wheels I was using 20 years ago, I just found one in my storage, 6x1.25 and on the tire the max was 36 PSI: this one is 85 PSI ! This could make a big change in terms of less rolling resistance.

Yep, that is nearly high pressure, but taking in account that over our casters are much less weight than in our rear wheels will feel even more firm than a rear wheel with right run at 145psi.

One thing that bugged me with my 6" pneumatic casters is that the tube valve was very difficult to access once the wheel was mounted on fork. I'm afraid it could be a bigger problem in 5".

The yellow seals will keep hair from getting to the bearing seals. Hair in the caster bearings is not a big deal for most, but it is a pain for some. Anyone know a source in the US?
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

The tread on our 5" EPICs are damaged. We are looking for new casters with something like the yellow seals/protectors on the Schmickings, but need as much vibration dampening as possible in new casters -- don't want to go pneumatic. Has anyone compared the Schmicking casters to the Frog Legs Aluminum DOUBLE Soft-Roll Casters in terms of vibration dampening?

I really find it crazy to buy a complete new caster assembly if all we need is the tread. I see this as a real benefit of the Schmickings -- to be able to replace just the treads. I also see the yellow seals/protectors as a real advantage on the Schmickings, but something similar is also available now for Frog Legs with Frog Shields.

I'm having a hard time sourcing the Frog Legs Aluminum DOUBLE Soft-Roll Casters with Frog Shields in Europe, and if I were to ship from the US, the cost would be about the same as the Schmickings.

Does anyone know of a good online source in Europe for either these products?
    Last edited by elarson; 09-10-2016 at 08:38 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Banned
    Schmickings is a great company. I have not seen their new casters, but I know that FrogLegs is going to be Reha at the end of September and will have a new super light weight CarbonFiber caster coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I'm having a hard time sourcing the Frog Legs Aluminum DOUBLE Soft-Roll Casters with Frog Shields in Europe, and if I were to ship from the US, the cost would be about the same as the Schmickings.

Does anyone know of a good online source in Europe for either these products?
    I would reach out to Oracing in Spain. Though likely not readily-available by ordering through their website they seem to have good relations with both FrogLegs and Schmicking.

Good luck.

p.s. this thread makes me wonder what our friend totoL1 is doing with himself. At the Paralympics representing Spain in handcycling?

For anyone wanting to see what the Schmicking casters being discussed look like, below is a photo. I can't find them on their website though (www.schmicking.com). After my last post I did find them on a Germany website: http://www.rollistore.de/Raeder---Zubehoer/Lenkrollen/Schmicking-Design-Rad.html

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I'm trying to get to Rehacare in Dusseldorf, but it is just before we are moving house, so very doubtful. I'd be curious to hear about the CF casters.

Unfortunately, I need to get paperwork in this week to get funding -- I hate being rushed on this stuff, but grateful that we may get some funding budget for them.
    Last edited by elarson; 09-11-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Oracing is not longer working in partnership with Schmicking
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature