Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help being independent.....

Need help being independent.....

I need help to be independent with my bowl program. I am a C7 incomplete quad. I have decent function with both hands, just still not normal. My problem are the stems. I start out by laying on my left side and I insert the magic bullet. I wait 10 minutes then transfer to my shower chair and roll over my toilet. I start going then start my 1st stem in about 10 minutes. I can inset the stimulator in and start circling it then I lose my grip in about 30 seconds. I usually go about a minute. When I'm done I don't know where to put it and clean it before my next stim. Right now I have a CNA that comes in for 4 hours a day to help me. I just really want to and ready to become independent. Please help!

One option is the colostomy. I am scheduled for a temp colostomy on January 7th to avoid cross contamination while healing from ischial flap surgery that will be done at the same time as the colostomy. You should research it and see if its something that you can benefit from. I am getting the temp colostomy but many members on this site loved their temp colostomy and kept it. Hope you find an option that is right for you.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

What type of digital stimulation tool are you using? There are a couple which fit over your hand and don't really require a grip.

As far as resting between stimulations, a Chux pad or towel on your lap is the easiest place to rest the tool between uses.

(KLD)

It's white w/ a gray handle. It has a plastic grip that slides over my hand. I do the stem for 1 minute. Is there another type of suppository that I can use that don't require stems? I heard about enemez but I have no clue what they do. I wish they made an apparatus that would do the stem for you. Then all you would have to do is hold it in place. That would be great! Also thanks for the colostomy suggestion but thats not for me at this point.

It is optimal to use dig stim with any bowel program. You can try enemeez - but you may have more problems with a small liquid suppository than that solid one.

I would contact the company and see if they can send you a few samples and see how they work.
    CKF

Yeah... That might be more difficult. I guess practice makes perfect so I'll keep trying to work on doing the stem myself. Thank you for your help though!

They say that practice makes perfect. In my experience, you need to decide if it is more optimal for you to do it or for you to get some help. Some things may not be worth the effort, while others are. That is for you to decide. In the meantime, it doen't hurt to try to do different activities, get as good as you can at them and then decide which ones are worth the effort.

CKF

What kind of suppositories do you use? I use Magic Bullet ones and I seldomly have ti stimulate....most of the time it isn't necessary. Also, you may want to consider to swith the stimulator to a more shorter one. I had the long one first as well and switched. Consider changing toilet seats as well....to one that just sits over the toilet instead of a roll on...more of a preference thing on that though. Hope this helps..

Quote Originally Posted by Erin1985 View Post
    It's white w/ a gray handle. It has a plastic grip that slides over my hand. I do the stem for 1 minute. Is there another type of suppository that I can use that don't require stems? I heard about enemez but I have no clue what they do. I wish they made an apparatus that would do the stem for you. Then all you would have to do is hold it in place. That would be great! Also thanks for the colostomy suggestion but thats not for me at this point.
    i use enemeze..well i dont put them in myself my attendant does..but they are essentially liquid suppositories..they work much better for me than the bullet did..try them out if your insurance will cover it.

All good suggestions....
    Hope that you get this together in a way that you are comfortable with.
    CKF