Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reasonable holiday bonus for a live-in caregiver?

I'm glad to hear that OJ. Good help is hard to find and one of the first things that come to mind when it comes to live-in help is privacy issues.

I don't have any live-in attendants, but the two that I do use are very good to me. Most of them have turned into good friends which is a good thing, but then you have that awkward friendship/employee boundary issue sometimes.

We do something different each year for my mother's live-in. We have given cash, as well as gift cards for a business she uses often (for clothing). Last year we all went together and paid for her ticket to go on a cruise with the whole family. This year she wants to go on a trip with her mother for her vacation, so I gave her a check with a note that it is for this trip.

For the part-time (non-live in) attendants we nearly always give them a check along with a small personal gift, and a paid holiday if their usual schedule falls on the holiday (I do my mother's care those days).

(KLD)

i've had same person for 16 years. she works another job plus mine and i know cannot be saving much.

i give her $1,000 for xmas. it's hard for me, but it's the least i can do for her digging the stool out of my rectum for over a decade.

do as much as you can safely sustain and the person's worth.

You put me to shame, Crags. I gave my weekday PCA an extra $100 and my weekender $80.
    They have been with me for 18 months and six months, respectively.
    Neither lives in. My long-term care insurance (from John Hancock) doesn't subsidize the bonuses.

The weekday woman earns $18 an hour and the weekend guy gets $15.

This Xmas, weekday aide got $125 bonus and weekender/night aide received $150, because he does extra stuff like wheelchair repair, landscaping, gift-wrapping, snow shoveling, shopping, etc.

my attendant who is not live-in but does my mornings 6 days a week I give $50 at xmas... $25 on his bday... straight cash cause its just str8 to his pocket... a live-in, I'd guess $100 at least if the duties are significant