Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Sore (what an original title, I know)

Pressure Sore (what an original title, I know)

Hello everyone and happy Holidays...

Okay, first time (broken record I bet) I develop a pressure sore, and it only took a doctor 3 months to figure out it's a pressure sore... Here's how it goes:

It's not where normal people get them, in my case I got on on mid back to the side... How? Well, when FINALLY concluding the sucker is a sore, it was by seeing that I was resting my back against the frame of the chair too often.

Long story shot, we put something to avoid my leaning against it, and finally had back replaced for that Jay backrest last week.

Problem is, sore is not healing.

Treatments: (while under dermatologist care, cause of not knowing it was pressure sore) Bactroban with a layer of petroleum gauze n covered with non-stick pad, replaced twice a day. That's current treatment too and doesn't seem to be helping. (and dermatologist removed necrotic tissue 2 weeks ago)

My primary doc just referred me last week to gen surgeon (as they can't do direct wound clinic referral), but they forgot to fax referral n blah blah blah ssoooo, I still don't know when I'll see doc.

So in the mean time, sore is looking dark again.. It's not very deep, but for this first (and better be last) timer, it looks like a crater.

I'm buying today the bunch of vitamins that lynnifer posted from the "Harvard System".. I had changed my diet since Feb to lose weight, but don't think I dropped proteins that much, other than lowering beef n eating more chicken breast, yet chicken breast is supposed to be high protein?

Yesterday I got an Aquacel thing, but had never seen one and was clueless of how to use, so didn't put on wound.

Big problem I have is the sore being on the side I sleep on (right), I tried sleeping on left but my shoulder is too bad and by second night I knocked my arm out beyond use. Pain was too intense and I keep sweating profusely, so there must be pressure elsewhere too in that position. I can't sleep on my back as I already spend over 17-18 hours a day on my butt, and after laying on my back an hour, it gets too reddish to comfort.

What can I treat sore with till I'm able to see surgeon? (I don't think it will require flap surgery or anything other than treatment, but what do I know).

I'll log from cell during day to see if a nurse has chance to reply and hopefully give me ideas of what to buy... And as always, THANKS for any input!
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

What type of bed surface are you sleeping on?

Can you post a photo (good quality close up) here or send to the SCI-Nurse hotmail address?

You need to see a good plastic surgeon, not a general surgeon. Contact your GP's office and ask for this referral specifically.

(KLD)

KLD,

I'm sleeping on regular mattress, nothing special. (Do I need as add-on now?)

I will e-mail photo tonight when cleaning it up.

I just called them about about the plastic surgeon and no, I can only see general surgeon and let him be the judge.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, if there is no way you can stay completely off the wound in bed, you should be on at least a low air loss powered mattress (do you already have a hospital bed frame??). Your physician will need to order this. Medicare will pay for this for at least a stage III pressure ulcer, which it sounds like you have.

(KLD)

I don't have medicare, and my insurance does not cover medical equipment at all. I have a regular full size bed.

Is there a low cost alternative to put on top of mattress?

Alternating air pressure mattress (not exactly the best - but what I use):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alternating-Air-...#ht_1169wt_825

Low air loss - the cheapest I've seen on eBay but still $350!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Low-Air-Loss-Pum...0#ht_588wt_825

I'd consider it an investment in your prolonged health. Hope the wound heals as fast as possible so you can get back to 'normal!'
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks lynnifer! bouhgt a low air loss mattress pad.. lets see how it goes.

One of the reasons I wouldn't heal is because my iron was so low and my red blood cells were of poor quality as a result (I blame it on hellish periods for a few years). Also thyroid and diabetes can affect healing (people with mobility challenges are more susceptible to metabolic illnesses .. I've read that before from Dr Young so that's where that piece of knowledge comes from).

Do you have access to a quick blood test to check for those things? Awesome on the mattress .. I find ebay a gold mine for medical equipment when something is not covered under insurance.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I just emailed the picture.

That is a fairly severe pressure ulcer that is at least a stage III. It needs further sharp debridement, and probably enzymatic debridement as well. If this is over ribs, you need tests to be sure that there is no osteomyelitis in the rib bones. Please do NOT let a general surgeon cut on you!!! You need to push to get an experienced plastic surgeon.

(KLD)