Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 Years Ago Today

2 Years Ago Today

Hi All! Just a quick post to say hi and to vent.

Today Sarah turns 21. It has also been two years ago today that Sarah was injured. I am hating this day already! What a sucky way to celebrate her birthday and head into the rest of the holiday week!!

happy birthday sarah! congratulations for making it this far. from what ur mom posts u have an awesome attitude which will take you far in life! mom try to focus on what u have accomplished these first two yrs. i know tis hard but man u guys have come a long way!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I know it's difficult, especially in the first five years or so. However, it isn't set in stone that you have to give power to that date or acknowledge more than you will to do so. As with our birthdays, we can choose to simply say it's one more year or we can throw a huge party.

Two years is only 24 months so I definitely understand the grief. That is exactly what you are feeling--grief. What could I possibly say to maybe help a bit? Perhaps that tomorrow you will still feel grief, so live in the moments today and every chance you have to laugh, laugh! Always remember that laughing is not betraying your grief or any horrible feelings you have about what's happened to Sarah, laughing doesn't give the SCI more power or make it hurt worse for her. It's okay to laugh! Laughter gets us through life. Laughter is the dog of human expression.

Will keep you and Sarah in thoughts today. Anniversary dates can be tough. I have always decided to buy myself something nice. (By the way my name is also sarah and I am going on 8 yrs. )

for me the longer time i have been injured the harder it gets.

Happy 21st Birthday, Sarah!!!! Enjoy and celebrate your special day.

Sarah's Mom: This day, a birthday and the anniversary of a terrible event is understandably difficult for you, Sarah, other family members and friends. It must be hard to decide what to do mourn the accident or celebrate the birthday. Unfortunately, these two events will always be woven together. Give yourself permission to enjoy the day your daughter was born. Give your daughter permission to celebrate her birthday. Let everyone around you know that is okay to celebrate Sarah's birthday. Celebrating the good in ones life gives less significance to the bad.

GJ and I have had 28 of these anniversary dates since his injury. I know what we have lost, I know life is not the way it used to be, I know this is not the life we planned. But it is life and we have made it a good life. It is a life worth celebrating.

NL (GJ's wife)

Thanks all! Sarah is handling this basically pretty good. When she talks about her legs, she says that "them bit**es are dead". She has great humor about it sometimes.....me...not so much.

Having my daughter alive is a blessing. That was very touch and go for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's Mom View Post
    Thanks all! Sarah is handling this basically pretty good. When she talks about her legs, she says that "them bit**es are dead". She has great humor about it sometimes.....me...not so much.

Having my daughter alive is a blessing. That was very touch and go for a while.
    LMAO! Sarah and I would totally jive. I move my right leg, but not my left, so I also make fun of the left when out with people and it's spasming or doing something that's irking me. I've said, "The bitch is dead! Move!"

You are right! You and Sarah would totally jive...you have no idea.

Very true...life is what we make of it. I do look forward to the day that Sarah gets all of this - if that is possible. She is such a great person, but will be even stronger once it sinks in totally. It will be better for all of us!

Tell Sarah about me if you'd like. I'll gladly befriend her and be there as a support for SCI issues. Just warn her not to fall in love with me because I'm strictly dickly.