Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to position legbag in bed?

Blog Entries

How to position legbag in bed?

I've had the "pefect bladder" for the 3 1/2 yrss since my accident. Last week, one day it just totally change! Wednesday, I am normal, Thursday I am having accidents. Continued for another day and became a mess. After soaking bed, chair, et, we decided go buy a foley. I have had one in for two days and am not at all happy about it! Feel like I have lost some independence . I have an appt scheduled with a Urologist in Jan. but meanwhile, am stuck with the bag (which hangs down out of my pants..).

Now, what I need help with is how you handle the bag at night. I slept on the side closet to the edge of the bed last night and let it hang on the floor. Later with the weight of the urine it got too heavy , so I guess I need something to hang it up with.....but where to hang it? Now, tonight I will sleep on the other side, which means the catheter with one extention tube wiill not be long enough to hang over the side of the bed to the floor. I slept with the same bag ad tube I used during the day. How do you people with foleys do this?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi,

Lets back up a minute. If you developed incontinence (accidents) with your urine suddently, then you should find out why this started happening. Possibly, it is from a UTI or bladder infection. ARe you ahving any other symptoms such as fever, lethargy, lower abdominal pain or incrased spasms-these can all be symptoms. I would try to get into your doctor before January to get this checked out and not just resort to a foley, as they have complications of their own. \
    If it is not a UTI, then your doctor may suggest urodynamic studies which check the emptying and filling of your bladder and perhaps you have an abnormality with that and there are ways to treat this.
    Another supplemental suggestion is for you to check out the sticky note at beginnin of this cre forum titled "Bladder Managment of Adults with SCI" which gives good tips whatever your method of bladder management.

RE: the question you ask above about the catheter-most people hang the tubing on the side of the bed that's closest to your body. That way, when youa re turned to left, the bag is on teh left side of bed and vice versa. Most beds have some sort of hook or opening on the side of the bed to hang the bag, and bags have some type of
    hook for hanging. This should not be a problem and bag should not be not the floor as it could pick up dirt and bacteria, putting you at risk for infection.

Please keep us psoted and find out why the change in your urine is occuring.

AAD

Good points nurse, but she said "leg-bag". I think she's using a leg-bag at night instead of a bedside bag. THAT would be a problem.

Andy, you need to use this, or similar at night.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Deadeye,

I wondered if there was something different for night time. I will get one. Nurse, I do not have a UTI, nor have I had any since my injury. I hope the Urologist will do a dynamics test, but until I can see him (Jan4) I have to do something to prevent the accidents I am having. I sure hope he has a solution!

Hi again, "Andy."

I have a supra pubic catheter, but the same principles can be adapted to a urethral foley catheter

I use Urocare vinyl (dispose every 1-1/2 to 2 weeks) leg bag during the day and at night with adaptations. I attach an 8 inch length of silicone or white rubber extension tubing to the top of the leg bag and then attach the tubing to the foley catheter.
    http://www.urocare.com/products/Uro-...aryLegBags.php

The bags I use have about 2-1/2 inches of drainage tubing at the bottom that is clamped. I use the Urocare night drain bottle. This bottle has a 2000+ ml capacity and comes with 60 inches of drainage tubing. The leg bag has slits at the top corners of the bag. I thread safety pins through the slits and pin the leg bag to the bed. It is now in a stable position. I attach the drainage tubing at the bottom of the leg bag to the drainage tubing on the drainage bottle and open the clamp. The urine now runs from the foley catheter through the extension tube, into and through the leg bag and into the night drain bottle. The drain bottle sits on the floor beside the bed in a plastic tub in case of overflow.
    http://www.urocare.com/products/Urin...nageBottle.php
    I use these tube connectors:
    http://www.urocare.com/products/TubingConnectors.php

I would be careful about allowing a night drain bag lay on the floor. It can pick up bacteria that could cause infection.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    Beside the size of the bag, is the nightbag any different from the leg bag?

For hanging the bag, if your bed doesn't have any convenient hooks or such, position a chair of any sort next to the bed, and hang the bag from it by a secure string, etc. But don't let it hang by the tube, or rest on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Beside the size of the bag, is the nightbag any different from the leg bag?
    They're just designed for their own different uses, one for mobile use that attaches to your leg. The other designed to be hung from your bed. It's kind of like comparing a wheelbarrow and a bucket.

One tip with the bedside bag. Always put a loop in the tubing (similar to the picture) that lays beside you on the bed. This prevents the tubing hanging straight over the side of the bed and pulling on your cath when you turn.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Good help so far. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Good points nurse, but she said "leg-bag". I think she's using a leg-bag at night instead of a bedside bag. THAT would be a problem.

Andy, you need to use this, or similar at night.
    deadeye is dead on, lol. you need a bedside bag and as deadeye said let it lay in a loop on your bed to prevent pulling on your cath.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/attachm...1&d=1292788384