Thread: Stylish and Unusual Wheelchair Handrims / Pushrims

Stylish and Unusual Wheelchair Handrims / Pushrims

There are many stylish wheelchair wheels (e.g., custom CNCed aluminum, 3-spoke Spartech composite, disc wheels, etc.), but show us the most stylish or unusual wheelchair handrims.
    Last edited by WC_Sage; 12-19-2010 at 12:49 AM.

In the unusual category; pictured here may be one way to accommodate people who prefer to use projection handrims, while reducing the accumulating nerve damage that results from impacting the hand's palm against the handrim projections.

Attachment 38551

These are the Max Grepp handrims that were on that Levo LAE I posted this afternoon. They are not available in the US. They always looked like something I might be interested in, but now that I have had a chance to see them in person, I've discovered they add width and weight (there is no gap between the hand rim and wheel--it is solid aluminum) The black material also doesn't provide much friction...

another interesting thing with the max grepps is that you can buy them for emotion wheels, also for yamaha wheels (yamaha license their wheels in north americal to quickie xtender). youd need to know a swede to navigate their website, buy a set, and forward them to you...

(i think they have a few grips - the ones i saw were very rubbery. do they add more width than natural fits?)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    These are the Max Grepp handrims that were on that Levo LAE I posted this afternoon. They are not available in the US. They always looked like something I might be interested in, but now that I have had a chance to see them in person, I've discovered they add width and weight (there is no gap between the hand rim and wheel--it is solid aluminum) The black material also doesn't provide much friction...
    Looks like Spinergys Flex Rim stuff to me, what's the difference?
    Most everything I say is

There is no flex in these rims. They are solid aluminum. If you took the black piece off you could probably run them on railroad tracks. NaturalFits don't add additional width compared to standard long tab hand rims, but the Max Grepps were defintiely wider and heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    In the unusual category; pictured here may be one way to accommodate people who prefer to use projection handrims, while reducing the accumulating nerve damage that results from impacting the hand's palm against the handrim projections.

Attachment 38551
    Hey, my picture has been high-jacked! I don't know how functional your suggestion would be, but it would have to be extremely durable and I question how you would accomplish it be movable (flexible) and durable.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Brianm,

Yours and the other CCC member's pictures were selected; in part, because they are real-life examples of CCC members who prefer to use projection handrims. Please send a private message this week if image royalties are required.

Regarding sufficient flexibility and durability, both performance characteristics are achievable. A yet undetermined aspect of the idea is whether or not the associated wheelchair users will consider the new handrim desirable. The new handrim adds a bit of weight, the exact amount not yet being formalized.

In the stylish category, have you seen transparent handrims?