Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: icon.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    4. Frogging is best controlled by providing relatively normal alignment of the femurs and proximal positioning. If the casters can remain where they are, but the length of the the tubing connecting the caster housing could be shortened slightly, the footrest spacing could be increased more. I realize that is a pretty complex curve and I'm not sure how hat would effect other functional aspects of the chair.
    One effect: if that tube is shortened, there is potential for limited options for caster sizes. 5" casters seem to be the sweet spot for me, though I know 4" is seemingly the most popular.

5. Any thought on going to a bearing fork instead of the traditional bearings in the hosing set up? I've seen a lot bearings become seized inside the caster barrel. Bearing forks are no picnic either, but I'd rather have to risk sacrificing the fork instead of the frame. Unitines are relatively inexpensive.
    That's a rather good point.

sidebar: I had FL suspension forks on my M1 for a bit. The redundancy was pointless (bearings in both housings).

5. Any thought on going to a bearing fork instead of the traditional bearings in the hosing set up? I've seen a lot bearings become seized inside the caster barrel. Bearing forks are no picnic either, but I'd rather have to risk sacrificing the fork instead of the frame. Unitines are relatively inexpensive.
    I don't think I'm following you on this point. I've always been told that traditional caster barrel housings are the simplest of all to service. If a bearing goes south, pop it out and replace it.

That's a rather good point.
    That's the thing I noticed first. I assume it's because it's a prototype and was the easiest way to go. Bearing forks look way better.

sidebar: I had FL suspension forks on my M1 for a bit. The redundancy was pointless (bearings in both housings).
    I thought FL came either or..but not both. The bearing forks come with a threaded shaft that screws into the frame and the non-bearing forks have a shaft for the caster barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    I thought FL came either or..but not both. The bearing forks come with a threaded shaft that screws into the frame and the non-bearing forks have a shaft for the caster barrel.
    well, the FL forks I own have bearings inside. my point was that the M1 caster housings have bearings as well. it's irrelevant to this thread though.

Jeff, sorry about the old terminology. Skirtguards are now called clothing protectors I think. The thing between your hips and the tires to keep the splashes and muck off your clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I don't think I'm following you on this point. I've always been told that traditional caster barrel housings are the simplest of all to service. If a bearing goes south, pop it out and replace it.
    Problem is they don't always just pop right out. Especailly if moisture gets inside from a missing or poorly fitted caster cap and corrosion of the stem rust welds it to the bearings. I've seen this happen and older A4's and Terminators.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    One effect: if that tube is shortened, there is potential for limited options for caster sizes. 5" casters seem to be the sweet spot for me, though I know 4" is seemingly the most popular.
    i agree. I think 5" casters definitely need to be available given the likely envronments in which the Icon is likely be used. It just looks that there could be some room to work with without affecting swivel area.

I think a good desiign goal here would be to ensure a 6 foot tall male weighing 200 lbs who wears 11EE shoes would be in contact with the footrest form the outside of one foot to the outside of the other. I imagine they are looking at a couple of diferent front caster wing options based on the seat width packages that will be offered.

I think if those things could be achieved, frogging could be addressed through the cushion in most instances and the need for bolt on positioning components may be less necessary

Problem is they don't always just pop right out. Especailly if moisture gets inside from a missing or poorly fitted caster cap and corrosion of the stem rust welds it to the bearings. I've seen this happen and older A4's and Terminators.
    I`m glad to have an aluminium fork stem, also save a few grames i will never have rust problems.

Having stainless steel, titanium or aluminium stem will solve the problem.

It looks like a great chair but I would need something to grab on to for transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
    It looks like a great chair but I would need something to grab on to for transfers.
    They will be offering transfer handles which extend out from the seat pan.

Jeff, I would like to suggest that the handles be ergonomically contoured, not simply flared round handles as on the Marvel.

It was quite innovative when Ibanez Guitars introduced the "monkey grip" into their Jem model.

I think the transfer handle could have similar scalloping on the bottom for better gripping.