Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gifting Food

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gifting Food

I like to give food for a gift at Xmas time.

If you were going to buy someone cheese as a gift for the holidays - what would you suggest ?

Any other suggestions ? A good hot sauce perhaps ? They like things spicy !

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Mmmmm-I think food is a great gift, especially something the recipient would not splurge on themselves.
    Are there any speciality shops in your area that use regional items?
    Pepper jellies are popular right now. Maybe with some good crackers.

I for one love the idea of buying and giving food items for gifts! We've been selling boxes of cake balls pretty much non-stop and are about to start doing some test shipping to see how the handle the trip.

We've also got a few canned and jellied items, but don't sell many of them due to the sweets. I'm with Linda though, look for something local that they can't get elsewhere. We've got a little hole in the wall Mexican join down the road here that makes their own salsa, they also sell it by the jar, best salsa I've had, so instead of buying Old El Paso or whatever at the store like most people we buy it there for home use and to take to party's.
    Most everything I say is

I love cheese, Dolcelatte yum :-)

Quote Originally Posted by leahcaprice View Post
    I love cheese, Dolcelatte yum :-)
    Just saying that word sounds yummy!!!! I looked it up. It is a cows milk, blue veined, Italian cheese. Sounds very special.

We have received gifts from both of these websites. I'm especially fond of the Cowgirl Creamery because they are local producers. When I give cheeses, I try to stay middle of the road in terms of flavor. I know some people love the stronger flavored cheeses, but they aren't to everyone's taste.

http://www.cowgirlcreamery.com/
    http://www.artisanalcheese.com/categ...s-and-baskets/

Merry Christmas and Cheers!!!!
    NL (GJ's wife)

The strength of the blue bits agaist the soft creamy white cheese is yum yum! I am a lover of mild cheeses generally like mozzarella and mild white cheddar ha xx

I love cheese, but not the ones mixed with port wine. An aged cheddar is proably my favorite, but I also like Gouda and Munster. There is an Irish cheese (gotta push the homeland's products!) called Kerry Gold that is excellent. A small Brie wheel with a separate container of almonds has possibilities. I had a friend who use to sprinkle the top with almonds and then stick it under the broiler until soft. It was wonderful spread on a good cracker, which is something else you could add to your food gift.

A wheel of cheese, I would be stoked

Here where I live, It's not common to give food as christmas gift. But this year we decided (my wife and I) to make gifts ourselves. We will give bottles of home made liquors, eg. vanilla extract or home made bayleys. We could buy these, but it was fun to make and fun to give things that are not just bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcin View Post
    Here where I live, It's not common to give food as christmas gift. But this year we decided (my wife and I) to make gifts ourselves. We will give bottles of home made liquors, eg. vanilla extract or home made bayleys. We could buy these, but it was fun to make and fun to give things that are not just bought.
    Uhm I'd love to have a jug of home made bayleys!!

Cheeses... I pretty much only eat em on my sandwich as I've never been a big cheese eater. Probably because I grew up thinking cheese was that crap sold in single wrappers..

My current favorites for my sandwich is smoked munster or smoked gouda. I have to say that when i go to make a sandwich and one of these are in the fridge I eat a slice or two by itself.
    Most everything I say is