Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Rigid chairs MARKETING

Carbon Fiber Rigid chairs MARKETING

Hello, My name is Marcus Fahlgren and I own Central Composites. I'm posting here because I have a design for an ultralight rigid wheelchair made primarily from Carbon Fiber and I'd like to see how interested people would be. Each chair would be custom tailored to each individual. Thank you for your time and opinions!

Interested, but skeptical of the material. Box frame, cantilever, something new?

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Welcome, Marcus. This is the place to get serious feedback for potential wheelchair designs. Have you built a prototype or is your design conceptual only?

Are you familiar with other carbon fiber wheelchair designs, such as the Panthera X or Future Chair wheelchairs (which I'm pretty sure is a failed venture from the UK)?

Show us what you got!

Thanks for the welcome! My design is purely concept but my crew and I work with carbon on a daily basis. My shop builds aftermarket automotive parts as well as speed modifications for airplanes. I have seen a few of the other wheelchair manufactures and what they offer. Pantera-X is very impressive! Im still not sure that they are using the material to its full potential though... My design uses the seat pan as Its main structure and does away with most of the extra tubing. Looks like 10lbs is the # to beat!

I would love to build a prototype but I would like to know that it isnt a lost cause or cornered market.

Whats a fair price for an ultralight carbon chair? Thanks again!

Free is fair from this side of the chair. If it were optional equipment, maybe not. Seriously...

5k US is about what I expect to pay for exactly what I want in a wheelchair, and that's being generous, assuming a personally built custom chair. Not sure how that translates to CF. Some full featured titanium chairs can run up and over that amount, but you really have to be trying to add everything but the kitchen sink or looking to buy exclusivity. The $8000 Tilite Z10 comes to mind.

I'd love for there to be more serious contenders in the custom CF market, as an end user. I currently use a Marvel M1 which uses a CF 'bucket' style seat pan/side guards on top of a unique aluminum frame.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Ha! Free is a great price! Unfortunately, it cannot be done, unless I donate one (which I would if this took off ). I was thinking that my chairs would come in at around 6k. I would be willing to build 10 at 3k though if I could get that many people on board (at which point I would sponsor this website )

Quote Originally Posted by CentralComposites View Post

I would love to build a prototype but I would like to know that it isnt a lost cause or cornered market.

Whats a fair price for an ultralight carbon chair? Thanks again!
    With the exception of the Panthera X I'm not aware of a CF chair that is currently in production; there are none being produced in the US. So, the market couldn't be more wide open. An introductory teaser price of $3K for the first 10 or so orders shouldn't be hard to fill if the chair has chops.

Do you have sketches that you're prepared to share with us?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    An introductory teaser price of $3K for the first 10 or so orders shouldn't be hard to fill if the chair has chops.

Do you have sketches that you're prepared to share with us?
    agreed... let's see what you've got in mind, Marcus.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    With the exception of the Panthera X I'm not aware of a CF chair that is currently in production; there are none being produced in the US.
    Is anyone familiar with Motion Composites Helio? Is this a CF chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Is anyone familiar with Motion Composites Helio? Is this a CF chair?
    familiar with, no.

that doesn't look like CF.