Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cats and air mattresses

cats and air mattresses

How do people owned by cats keep their owners from popping their mattresses (other than declawing, which I wouldn't do?) Back when we had cats, I tried an air mattress overlay, and that got punctured. Now, I have a low air loss self-turning mattress, and that must be preserved. A cat, even if it doesn't scratch the bed as it would a scratching post, will dig in its claws claws when it stretches after a nap. Thanks for all ideas.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

they are air cushion killers also...

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    get rid of cat, best thing I ever did. why would you want something that walks around in a box of poop and pee, getting in your bed anyway?

I started using these vinyl "nail caps" on my cats after they completely destroyed a brand new, expensive leather chair almost right after it was delivered. If you can find somebody to put them on your cat for you, they do work very well. They last about 5 weeks. They were recommended to me by my cats' vet. I have used them since February with no problems.

http://www.softclaws.com/index.php?pet=cat

Edit to add: this picture is from the website. While I liked the funky coloured caps, they didn't seem very dignified for my cats So I stuck with clear caps as you can't tell the cat is wearing them.
    Last edited by orangejello; 12-14-2010 at 09:25 PM.

What OJ said or keep a thick comforter on your bed at all times (but so as not to cause pressure on your toes!)

Why not declaw? I have two cats with all four paws declawed - I get them done when I get them neutered. It seems cruel, but it saves me a lot of damage ... not only that but scratches take forever for me to heal from the knees down and they carry a lot of germs on their claws. My vet understands. Plus, they don't go outside unless I'm within two feet of them and they're on a leash. Very rarely do they go out as they prefer it inside (especially in this frigid weather - I open the door and they're like, "Yeah right!")

I used to clip nails when I owned cats before ... that's another solution although a troublesome one! By the fourth nail, they're not putting up with it!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I briefly considered declawing my cats after the chair wrecking incident. They came very close to making themselves homeless with that lol. But I don't think I could bring myself to declaw. However my brother has had both his cats declawed and they seem happy and healthy with no negative effects. I agree that cutting their nails doesn't work. For a bit I was taking them the vet to get their nails cut. But it was a stupid amount of money plus they completely freak out during the drive and stayed stressed out for some time after getting home. Plus the nails grow back quick. I was very happy to find out about these caps. And even happier when they turned out to actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    I started using these vinyl "nail caps" on my cats after they completely destroyed a brand new, expensive leather chair less than 24 hours after it was delivered. If you can find somebody to put them on your cat for you, they do work very well. They last about 5 weeks. They were recommended to me by my cats' vet. I have used them since February with no problems.

http://www.softclaws.com/index.php?pet=cat

Edit to add: this picture is from the website. While I liked the funky coloured caps, they didn't seem very dignified for my cats So I stuck with clear caps as you can't tell the cat is wearing them.
    Those things are hilarious! I love the colours. I lost my 16 year old kitty in September, but would have gotten them for her. She was sometimes known as the Ginsu kitty for good reason.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    Those things are hilarious! I love the colours. I lost my 16 year old kitty in September, but would have gotten them for her. She was sometimes known as the Ginsu kitty for good reason.
    I have to admit...I might get the hot pink nails for my jet black female cat when I place my next order

Sorry about your cat I am dreading that day even though my cats are only 8. Are you considering getting another?

Thank you for yor sympathy...She was a great old gal. I want another one desperately and have gone so far as to call about free kittens in the paper. I want to hold off getting one because I want to spend about a month or longer in Europe next year.

I cannot see leaving a new kitty for that long with either a stranger or in a kennel. But I will eventually get another one when I don't have impending travel plans.

I love the idea of the hot pink nails on a black cat. I've only ever had black kitties. They always choose me over the other cats of different colors.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

if u keep up with trimming nails and give them a designated place to scratch they will not scratch ur bed. my cat has only begun digging at the mattress as i havent trimmed her nails in awhile. it sucks!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/